Share | 

Favourite Bulgarian Beer

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Chris

PostSubject: Favourite Bulgarian Beer   Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:02 am

First topic message reminder :

Thought I'd try create a poll and what better subject for the test!

So, what's your favourite Bulgarian beer ... for me, light beer would be Shoumensko and dark beer would be Stolichno.

Cheers
Chris
Back to top Go down
http://www.tonicwebworks.com

AuthorMessage
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Bulgarian Beer   Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:23 pm

Black Stuff every time

Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Bulgarian Beer   Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:17 pm

Nice topic I didn't know this was here
Back to top Go down
BGTRAVELLER
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Bulgarian Beer   Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:21 am

Zagorka for me its the one I've always liked and its not too harsh :Drink:but I am a Guinness man and only recently tried it
Back to top Go down
Sarah
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Bulgarian Beer   Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:30 pm

I've only ever tried Zagorka and that was here in the uk so I have voted for it

sarah
Back to top Go down
Nikolay
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Bulgarian Beer   Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:45 pm

Zagorka

Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Bulgarian Beer   Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:05 pm

ChrisQBG wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Shoumensko - i love this beer, no hangover at all

Me too, in fact, just poured a large glass!

Not sure about the hangover though :Cheers2:
Shumensko for me, Nazdrave (to your health) :Dance: :Dance: :Dance: the night away: :Celebration:
:Cheers8:
willowsend
Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Bulgarian Beer   Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:17 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Zagorka

Am I right in saying, that i think Zagorka is brewed under licence by Heineken, not that it makes any difference, just information
Back to top Go down
cheekychops
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Bulgarian Beer   Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:12 pm

You may be right willowsend
Back to top Go down
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Bulgarian Beer   Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:26 pm

You can get Zagorka in the UK . But why on earth drink it there when there is the BLACK STUFF Drunk Drunk Drunk :Cheers8:

Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Bulgarian Beer   Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:30 pm

Willowsend I think you may well be right g g

History

In 1902the “Biraria” /the Beerplace/ was opened. This is how people in Stara Zagora called the brewing factory of doctor Konstantin Ivanov Kozhuharov. He was well known at his time as an entrepreneur. He graduated medicine in Prague, married a Czech girl and received a huge dowery. This allowed him to start a company while at the same working as a doctor. After he tasted delicious Czech beer during his student years in Prague, he decided to bu8ild a brewing factory when he came back to his home town.
The advisory board members of the newly created factory were common and not particularly rich people which resulted in asking the “Budashtnost” Bank for a credit. At start, the business was successful, but beer at that time is not that popular and the distribution started facing difficulties.

In 1918 the Zlatarevi brothers, another industrious citizens of Stara Zagora, decided to restore the brewing factory. They attracted as shareholders a lot of local people, mainly sellers of drinks, who became distributors of the new beer. After 3-4 years of renovating work, the “Trakia” factory was opened with a lot of new and modern machines and installations. In Zlatarevi brothers’ brewery worked the first Bulgarian professional brewer – Andrey Brashovanov. “Trakia” factory’s beer was with high-quality and ranked third as most sold in the country at that time. Despite the fact that in Bulgaria there were 14-15 breweries at the time, “Trakia” beer was sold successfully in the whole South Bulgaria.
From 1921 to 1925 the brewing industry reached its full bloom. At that time the government decided to raise the tax, which brewers were paying, trying to support wine producers. High tax was a serious problem for beer manufacturers, distribution levels fell, and beer lost its strong position on the Bulgarian market. What remained of the Trakia factory from that period gave the beginning of the new brewing factory “Zagorka”.

1949 – Andrey Brashovanov gave the idea for re-building the factory, but the government decision on the topic was issued a lot later. The new factory “Zagorka” was opened on 6 April 1958. In the same year the first beer with the brand “Zagorka” was produced. From the opening of the factory to 1984 it has been renovated and enlarged a few times, and the production volume was increased almost 4 times and reached 450,000 Hectoliters per year.

In 1994 Heineken and Coca Cola HBC bought 80% of the shares of “Zagorka” brewery for USD 21.7 M, which became the highest price ever paid for a brewery company in Bulgaria.
In 1998 “Zagorka” AD is the first company from the food &
drinks sector and the first brewery in CEE region to certify according to the international standard ISO 9002. In November 2005 the company is certified according to a new integrated system for quality and environment control - ISO 14 001:2004.

n 2002 the brewery celebrated its 100-anniversary as the indisputable market leader with 26% market share. A year later “Ariana” Brewery merged with “Zagorka” AD. From the privatization to the end of 2006 investments in “Zagorka” AD were about EUR 90 M. In 2006 “Zagorka” AD was again a market leader with 31% market share and a balanced portfolio of profitable trade marks in all price segments: Zagorka, Ariana, Stolichno, as well as the corporate Heineken, Amstel, Murphy’s, Starobrno and Kaiser.
Back to top Go down
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Bulgarian Beer   Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:37 pm

Now that was interesting. Thank you meandmine g

Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Bulgarian Beer   Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:21 pm

well researched meandmine and thank you for confirming my thoughts
Let's all drink to that
:Cheers8:willowsend
Back to top Go down
Sarah
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Bulgarian Beer   Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:10 pm

Well done meandmine that was an interesting find for you thanks for the history lesson

sarah
Back to top Go down
Blink
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Bulgarian Beer   Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:37 pm

Nice read I wasn't aware that they were owned by Heineken and Coca Cola
Back to top Go down
krypton
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Bulgarian Beer   Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:58 pm

Its sad that England isn’t famed for its perfect pints throughout Europe, most of the brands you get in the local UK boozer now can be found in the bigger supermarkets in Bulgaria like Metro but out and about the Bulgarian beer is king, Bulgaria has a bit of a reputation as a drinking country and I can see how things could get that way having sampled a lot of the local tipples! The biggest brands of lager here are Kamenitza and Zagorka both of which you will find in almost every bar, restaurant, café and shop. Zagorka is actually owned by Heineken as already said above in meandmine's post. The prices of beer in Bulgaria are much lower than most of Western Europe, In a shop you will pay about 3.50 BGN (for 2 litres of beer! In a bar you can expect to pay about 170 BGN for a 500ml bottle of beer.On of the differences in the alcohol industry in Bulgaria is that beer you buy in shops generally comes in plastic bottles rather than cans or glass bottles and the bars serve all beers in glass bottles. It doesn’t seem to affect the taste and once you get used to the fact that your beer is coming out of a plastic bottle you forget about what your use to, If you want to steer clear of the brewing giants, there are a few smaller breweries which tend to be a cheaper, if the logo and bottle don’t have any English/roman lettering, it’s a domestic beer and will probably cost less, otherwise you may pay more
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Bulgarian Beer   

Back to top Go down

Favourite Bulgarian Beer

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next