Administrator

PostSubject: Brides Get Cheaper   Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:29 pm

First topic message reminder :

[size=75:34vr17az]Standart news 21 February 2010

Brides Get Cheaper

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[size=75:34vr17az]Beautiful Donka and her fianc?, Nasko were the most
popular couple at the market of whitesmith brides

A couple of hundred of Roma from all southern Bulgaria gathered yesterday at the first for the year bride-market of the whitesmith Romani clan near the village of Mogila, Stara Zagora region. Traditionally the eyeing of brides is made on St Todor?s Day ? the first Saturday after the start of the Great Lent. A horde of foreign media were also present to cover the picturesque gathering of heavily made-up girls and eager to marry boys. ?We have heard that parents sell their girls like animals,? Ralph Jurgen Schoenheinz from the Bavarian public TV in Munich explained his interest. Curiosity of the same type had brought a team from the British tabloid the Sun. Some of the Romani would make fun of the foreigners and bargain on tremendous sums for a girl in front of them, others would send them to the other side of the village where the animal market was held.
?For a nice girl, I will give 20я000 levs,? unwillingly says Petko Kolev from the village of Kolena. Most of the whitesmiths, though, say that the crisis is giving them a hard time. The craft is dying and any work, they say, is hard to find both in Bulgaria and abroad. ?I am not lying to you, I took this fine bride for a lamb,? says Todor from the village of Lovets. His son Nasko and beautiful Donka from the village of Dramata, Yambol fancied each other at a bride-market in Yambol. Their parents ? average whitesmiths, blessed their love. Todor gave a dinner for the relatives-in-law and agreed to make the engagement on St Todor?s Day. Thus on the market yesterday Donka and Nasko were the most popular couple.

Admin
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Back to top Go down
http://www.ourbulgariaforum.com

AuthorMessage
Admin
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Brides Get Cheaper   Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:32 am

[size=55:3hmo4cq7]Sofia echo

High prices at Roma bride bazaar in Bulgaria 2011

In spite of declining incomes and unemployment, prices for brides at the traditional Roma bride bazaar in the village of Mogila have soared, a report by Bulgarian National Television said.

The market, which sees men bidding for brides every year on Todorovden – the day of St Todor, this year celebrated on March 12, saw prices from 2000 to 50 000 leva for brides "
depending on their beauty,"
the report said.

The price is set by the girl’s parents, according to the Bulgarian National Television report, and girls were thoroughly prepared, made up and dressed in special outfits.

"
The more light-skinned, the higher the price,"
Bulgarian National Television said.

Admin
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Back to top Go down
pixi
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Brides Get Cheaper   Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:48 am

I agree with what you say Judybaby, if it is their tradition, who are we to judge.
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: Brides Get Cheaper   Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:38 am

Here in Turkey the payment is in camels!!!

s s s s
Back to top Go down
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Brides Get Cheaper   Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:48 am

Oh darn it I lost the posting as Ichy and I posted at the same time - so will do a shorter version

Golly gosh it is amazing to think that 'selling humans' is still considered in this day and age and why or what kind of a man would buy a bride for 50.000lv!! But as you says if it is their tradition, who are we to judge.

It kind of reminds me of the TV programme here 'Gypsies Weddings' it is along the same line really.

Oh one more point I am not happy at all about - my other half got me for a gold ring - Time to complain I think c

Oddy s

PostSubject: Re: Brides Get Cheaper   Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:38 pm

@itchyfeet wrote:

s s s s

You mean you get a camel as a bride or am I being silly? s
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: Brides Get Cheaper   Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:16 pm

coriolanus wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:

s s s s

You mean you get a camel as a bride or am I being silly? s

Some of them are stunning George, but at my age most of them look that good, the Mumma's though do put a lot of weight on, we believe they go down to the local garage when they get to about 35 years of age and attach themselves to the air line for half an hour. The result is a very large Mumma who is left at home to clean and cook.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brides Get Cheaper   Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:18 pm

@itchyfeet wrote:

Some of them are stunning George, but at my age most of them look that good, the Mumma's though do put a lot of weight on, we believe they go down to the local garage when they get to about 35 years of age and attach themselves to the air line for half an hour. The result is a very large Mumma who is left at home to clean and cook.

I can't really think of a funny rejoinder to that, so will leave it alone s s s
Back to top Go down
Carmen
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Brides Get Cheaper   Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:07 pm

Its very sad really that this goes on but since its all part of their culture its not wrong to them. Its hard for most of the western world to accept things like this but we must accept other cultures as we expect them to accept ours.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Brides Get Cheaper   Wed May 04, 2011 8:08 am

[size=55:g9fzeb66]New York times

Subtle Shift at the Gypsy Bride Market

STARA ZAGORA, BULGARIA — In a field outside town, teenage girls in skimpy outfits worked the crowd at what is known locally as the "
Gypsy bride market."
Clad by contrast in long velvet skirts and brightly coloured head scarves, their proud mothers watched. Gold flashed on necks, fingers, ears and teeth.

Meet the tinkers of Thrace, semi-nomadic Roma who in the early 21st century are among the few in Europe hewing to ancient ways. A woman may govern Germany and men in Sweden may care for infants. But in this corner of south eastern Europe, that thinking is quite foreign, with — so far — limited impact.

Technically, the young women at this traditional St. Todor's Day "
market"
were not for sale. But it is at this fair, held each year on the first Saturday of Orthodox Christian Lent, that the Kalaidzhi (as the estimated 18,000 Thracian tinkers are known) conduct the complex negotiations on a bride price that traditionally lead to marriage.

The identity of this semi-nomadic Roma group is based on the ancient craft of its menfolk: producing and repairing pots, pans and caldrons. For centuries, these smiths have scattered in ones or twos in Bulgarian villages to practice this craft, and they get together rarely for events like the St. Todor's fair.

This is therefore one of the few opportunities for teenagers to meet other Kalaidzhi — and potential spouses. Dating is not really an option when teenage boys and girls are forbidden to meet without an adult. Marriage outside the group is equally taboo.

Leaning against his car, surveying the scene, Hristos Georgiev, 18, was pleased to be wrapping up negotiations with the father of Donka Dimitrova, an 18-year-old he expected to marry weeks later. Bargaining had narrowed to between 10,000 and 15,000 levs, or ,500 to ,300, well more than a year's worth of the average Bulgarian's wages of 8,400 levs. He said he saved the money working construction in Cyprus.

According to Velcho Krustev, an ethnographer with the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, "
the man is not buying a wife, but her virginity."
The payment ensures the bride will be treated well by her new family, he said.

Good looks nevertheless command a price. "
If she's really beautiful, the price can go up"
to 20,000 or 25,000 levs, Mr. Georgiev said, within easy earshot of his prospective bride. (Others said a great beauty might fetch 40,000 levs.)

"
I don't approve,"
said Ms. Dimitrova, who unlike less educated Bulgarian Roma girls recently completed a landscaping course. "
You shouldn't look at the money,"
she said, "
but at the person, his way of speaking, thinking, feeling and all the rest."

Her cousin Todorka was blunt. The money, she said, "
is no guarantee that the marriage will last forever. They can still find another better one 10 days later."

Kalaidzhi families usually marry off daughters between the ages of 16 and 20 and take them out of school by eighth grade, allegedly to prevent their being "
stolen"
by suitors. (How often true bride theft occurs is not clear. Young people said it is often a face-saving family story when a daughter elopes.)

Kalaidzhi women have long woven their daughters' dowries, and stoked the fires for their husbands' craft. They are wives, mothers and assistant tinsmiths.

Education has not been a priority: the Open Society found in 2004 that one in five Bulgarian Roma women are illiterate — almost double the share among men. Only 10 percent of Bulgarian Roma women have secondary education, according to the World Bank, compared with 16 percent for the men.

However, support for marriage traditions is waning. A 2007 study by Amalipe, a nongovernmental organization in Bulgaria, found that 52 percent of Roma opposed parents' choosing the spouse of their children, with 35 percent in favor. Only 18 percent of Roma supported the bride price;
69 percent rejected it.

Kalaidzhi are among the most tradition-bound of Roma. But even they are changing — to the distaste of elders like Ivan Kolev, 73.

While he insisted the bride price would stay — "
our people always insist that a girl be a virgin"
— he noted that Kalaidzhi women "
were much shyer"
when he married some 50 years ago. "
Now they just elope. Now they go around like Bulgarians."

Indeed, Vlado Drinkov, a rare ethnic Bulgarian at the fair, selling grilled meat and beer, scoffed at the Roma traditions. Kalaidzhi women "
are only taught to serve their husbands their entire lives,"
he said, predicting the demise of such customs.

It is modern economics, not ethics, that are bringing change. With cheap pots and pans from China widely available, smithing is a dying craft. The strongest remaining custom is for copper stills for brewing rakia, strong grape brandy that villagers make at home to avoid the E.U. excise taxes collected at public stills.

In the village of Prohorovo, the parents of Todorka Dimitrova, 18, divide the labor of life: her father, Vasil, 52, does the tin-smithing and cares for the animals. Her mother, Petrana, 50, cooks and tends the house and vegetable garden.

The mother said young Kalaidzhi women had become more "
democratic"
but still, only the boys could go out. "
The daughters sleep at home. In Bulgarian houses, they can go wherever they want. Here they sleep at home. That's it."

"
If you go to your husband and tell him you went to the bar last night, he'll beat you,"
she added, slapping her palm for emphasis.

Still, Ms. Dimitrova, an impish tomboy with an intelligence beyond her fifth-grade education, has already influenced her options. One man offered by her parents "
was rich and truly handsome,"
she said. "
But I didn't like his character. He was cold and childish."

Another boy left a message on a friend's mobile phone. He and Ms. Dimitrova spoke by phone for eight months before meeting last year at St. Todor's fair. Her parents turned him down — they didn't like his family, and he lived far away, 100 kilometres, or 60 miles, distant in the city of Plovdiv.

"
I can choose my husband, if my parents approve,"
Ms. Dimitrova said. "
If they don't, the chances are half and half we'll have to elope — if I can't cry enough to convince them."

Out of earshot of her parents, she confided a more radical option. She is so weary of Kalaidzhi narrow-mindedness, and insistence on tradition, that she'd consider marrying a Bulgarian.

"
It's a big step to do something like that, it means you have to be ready for a big fight,"
she said. But "
I don't want to be with someone who wouldn't make me happy."

Admin
Back to top Go down
ABC Property Surveyors.BG
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: Brides Get Cheaper   Wed May 04, 2011 9:47 am

50,000 lev seems a good deal to me.Much cheaper than giving your house away when it all goes wrong.The last one cost me 130k pounds to get rid of back in the UK and she didn't know how to use a Mutika! I'd only been gone a month and another man had his Beer's in my fridge! Won't make that mistake again.......
Back to top Go down
Scunnered

PostSubject: Re: Brides Get Cheaper   Wed May 04, 2011 10:19 am

What's a Mutika?

I looked it up on google, to no avail.
Back to top Go down
ABC Property Surveyors.BG
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: Brides Get Cheaper   Wed May 04, 2011 10:42 am

It's a bulgarian hoe for gardening.
Back to top Go down