View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
mike&tanya
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: mike& tanya,s Bulgarian adventures   Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:47 pm

First topic message reminder :

I intend to work my way through our various trips by year, and i will put places that you might find interesting in capitals, all of which can be looked up on internet to get much more detail.
When i first met tanya in London, I like most people did not know much about Bulgaria. My first visit was in October (2 months after we got married) to visit her Tanya,s parents, who live in a village called Kliment which is close to the towns of Sopot - Karlova. We flew into Sofia Airport and were met by 2 of her close friends, the plan was to stop over night and go the the embassy the next morning before traveling on to the village. Unfortunatly no one told us that we had to get there before 10.00am otherwise they will not deal with you, and yes you guessed it we got there 10.20am. This meant another day in Sofia, I thought thats ok we will do a bit of sight-seeing (silly me), I was with 3 good looking fashion concsious woman so I got dragged up and down the up-market clothing shops for most of the day. We stayed another night in a very nice hotel in the foothills just outside of the city, and managed to get the paperwork sorted the next morning and get on our way to the village.
I got a very nice surprise on arrival in the village, the surrounding scenery was quite outstanding, being surrounded by lowwooded hills on one side that seem to go on forever, and acroos the valley much higher more rugged hills above Karlova, I never get tired of looking at this. I got a very warm welcome from Tanya,s parents and some of the neighbors, and enjoyed looking around the there property, which consisted of a traditionally built mud block bungalow, with a massive barn and a big plot of land full of all kinds of vegetables and fruit trees. There was also 13 sheep, a donkey, cats and a dog, it seems that during the communist times Tanya,s dad was a well respected shepherd until he retired
We spent a few days in and around the village and SOPOT - KARLOVA (they are almost joined together and I think of them as twin towns),and then went onto what was to become the first of many sight-seeing trips over the years. We went to SHIPKA-MONESTERY (very nice), which has a beautiful gold coloured domed roof and like all monestery,s full of brightly coloured icons and murals. From there we went onto an open air museum called ETAR (well worth a visit) which is full of original buildings dating back through the centuries and also demonstrations of Bulgarian culture and crafts. We then went onto a town called GABROVA which has a museum of humour (it was ok).
At the end of our holiday we were taken to Sofia Airport by a friend from the village, and on the way called into a very well preserved town called KOPRIVSTITSA, which although our time was limited , what i saw was very nice and I intend to go back and have a better look one day.

That it I hope you enjoy this installment and I will add more soon.

AuthorMessage
Turkey Billy

PostSubject: Re: mike& tanya,s Bulgarian adventures   Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:34 am

Brilliant read has the roof been lifted yet?
Back to top Go down
mike&tanya
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: mike& tanya,s Bulgarian adventures   Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:04 am

Yes the roof is up and on. We flew over on Friday 1st and the builders started on the Monday. They had all of the old roof off by the second day and due to the bungalow being built of mud bricks (cobb) they had to reinforce the top with concrete and reinforcing metal.We now have a solid built wooden structure complete with roof and large balcony.We have agreed with the builders that they will do as much as possible this month, then go back to another project they have and complete ours after. This means by the time i go home on the 31st it will not be complete but Tanya is here until mid September . So the next time I am back we should have a much larger complete building.
We had a break from the building on Saturday and drove up to the Festival at Rozhen, we set out early and got there with very little problems, but when we left at about 1.00pm the traffic still coming in was horrendous. Unfortunatly we did not see the 400 gyda or the Kookori, as apparently that was only on the friday, but it was still an interesting event and Tanya,s dad loved being in the mountains with us, if its on again next year we will go on the opening day, although to be honest July is a bit too hot for me. Hot

Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: mike& tanya,s Bulgarian adventures   Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:13 am

Sounds all good I take it you were please with all the work? I guess the proof will be how it goes through the winter etc ? I can understand your father loving it in the mountains its something I love to do and at this time of year it can be very hot but then at the other end its too cold, I find September a great time to have a good walk up there.
Back to top Go down
mike&tanya
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: mike& tanya,s Bulgarian adventures   Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:11 pm

Yes very happy with the work so far, the guys are young (in there 40,s which is young for me)) and fit and very experienced, Tanya,s dad was a shepherd during the communist times so is very used to the mountains and every chance he gets he goes up either the Shredna Gora range at the back of the village or the Stara Plannina across the valley. We have to be a little careful with the build as Tanya,s parents are still living in the downstairs part (as are we at the moment).

Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: mike& tanya,s Bulgarian adventures   Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:48 pm

mike&tanya wrote:
Yes very happy with the work so far, the guys are young (in there 40,s which is young for me)) and fit and very experienced, Tanya,s dad was a shepherd during the communist times so is very used to the mountains and every chance he gets he goes up either the Shredna Gora range at the back of the village or the Stara Plannina across the valley. We have to be a little careful with the build as Tanya,s parents are still living in the downstairs part (as are we at the moment).  

Good luck to all of you and yes be careful
Back to top Go down
mike&tanya
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: mike& tanya,s Bulgarian adventures   Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:08 pm

Its been a while since i have written anything on this journal, so here goes. As stated the builders had completed the roof before i left at the end of the month. Tanya stayed on longer and in that time she organised the windows ,roof tiles etc. After she came home we are in regular contact with the builders and of course her parents, and although the build is not as far forward as we would have hoped at this stage, it is water tight and weather proof and we are sure it will be almost finished by the time we go out in February. Hopefully it will be the stage of organising the laminate floors for the bedroom and lounge and tiles for the upstairs bathroom. The balcony is finished and I spent a few relaxing hours up there looking across at the mountains.We have not had the stairs fitted yet as they are being made from hardwood, and we felt that the decorating needs to be a lot further ahead otherwise they will get damaged, so at the moment we can only go upstairs by ladder.
 As stated we are coming out in February, I will be staying for 3 weeks during which time I am hoping to go to Pamporova for a few days skiing,and Tanya will be doing her usual 2 months winter stay, so we should get most of it done. I doubt if I will have too much time to get up the mountain in the Suzuki but we will have to see, anyway the logging lorries tend to rip the trails to shreds in the winter.
 I will try to add some photo,s on another post as they need to be downsized as they will not send at the moment.

Super user
Super user

PostSubject: subject   Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:55 pm

Hi to you both

we've been wondering how the project was getting along... now we know. g

Hope to catch with you when you're over in Feb...at least for a cuppa and a chat.

Keep up the good work with the journal...very interesting reading.

Bazz and V
Back to top Go down
krypton
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: mike& tanya,s Bulgarian adventures   Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:29 am

Nice update and hope the ladder holds out for you g looking forward to seeing some pictures and I hope you have a good time while your here.
Back to top Go down
lollypop

PostSubject: Re: mike& tanya,s Bulgarian adventures   Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:35 pm

Nice to have a catchup I haven't seen anything from you in a while so glad your still here. Good luck
Back to top Go down
justbazz
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: subject   Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:06 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Trying this on Mikes behalf...

if it works, there are a couple more.

Back to top Go down
justbazz
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: subject   Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:08 pm

Another one.
Back to top Go down
justbazz
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: subject   Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:09 pm

Hope this works.
Back to top Go down
justbazz
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: subject   Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:23 pm

....seems I may have finally got the hang of this posting pics thingy...Thanks to Ashley and Berni. :Fantastic:
Back to top Go down
oddball

PostSubject: Re: mike& tanya,s Bulgarian adventures   Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:48 pm

g Doing great Bazz

Daisy
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: mike& tanya,s Bulgarian adventures   Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:29 am

Thank you both for the update and the pictures and good luck with the finish s
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: mike& tanya,s Bulgarian adventures