View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
mike&tanya
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: mike& tanya,s Bulgarian adventures   Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:47 pm

First topic message reminder :

I intend to work my way through our various trips by year, and i will put places that you might find interesting in capitals, all of which can be looked up on internet to get much more detail.
When i first met tanya in London, I like most people did not know much about Bulgaria. My first visit was in October (2 months after we got married) to visit her Tanya,s parents, who live in a village called Kliment which is close to the towns of Sopot - Karlova. We flew into Sofia Airport and were met by 2 of her close friends, the plan was to stop over night and go the the embassy the next morning before traveling on to the village. Unfortunatly no one told us that we had to get there before 10.00am otherwise they will not deal with you, and yes you guessed it we got there 10.20am. This meant another day in Sofia, I thought thats ok we will do a bit of sight-seeing (silly me), I was with 3 good looking fashion concsious woman so I got dragged up and down the up-market clothing shops for most of the day. We stayed another night in a very nice hotel in the foothills just outside of the city, and managed to get the paperwork sorted the next morning and get on our way to the village.
I got a very nice surprise on arrival in the village, the surrounding scenery was quite outstanding, being surrounded by lowwooded hills on one side that seem to go on forever, and acroos the valley much higher more rugged hills above Karlova, I never get tired of looking at this. I got a very warm welcome from Tanya,s parents and some of the neighbors, and enjoyed looking around the there property, which consisted of a traditionally built mud block bungalow, with a massive barn and a big plot of land full of all kinds of vegetables and fruit trees. There was also 13 sheep, a donkey, cats and a dog, it seems that during the communist times Tanya,s dad was a well respected shepherd until he retired
We spent a few days in and around the village and SOPOT - KARLOVA (they are almost joined together and I think of them as twin towns),and then went onto what was to become the first of many sight-seeing trips over the years. We went to SHIPKA-MONESTERY (very nice), which has a beautiful gold coloured domed roof and like all monestery,s full of brightly coloured icons and murals. From there we went onto an open air museum called ETAR (well worth a visit) which is full of original buildings dating back through the centuries and also demonstrations of Bulgarian culture and crafts. We then went onto a town called GABROVA which has a museum of humour (it was ok).
At the end of our holiday we were taken to Sofia Airport by a friend from the village, and on the way called into a very well preserved town called KOPRIVSTITSA, which although our time was limited , what i saw was very nice and I intend to go back and have a better look one day.

That it I hope you enjoy this installment and I will add more soon.

AuthorMessage
mike&tanya
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: mike& tanya,s Bulgarian adventures   Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:53 pm

We both flew out on 8th feb had a couple of days in the village, then 4 nights in Pamporova, skiing was good with just enough snow for our needs.On returning to the village we kept the builders busy with all of the finishing jobs, we had to do various trips into Plovdiv to buy the endless amount of materials i.e.; tiles bathroom equipment lights ect, the list seemed to go on and on.
I flew home on 29th leaving Tanya there to oversee the last jobs.When I left we had to go up and down one of her fathers home made ladders to get to the upstairs, but ironically the day after i came home the hard wood stairs were fitted by another very good craftsmen and they look amazing. Also just the other day another guy made some incredable fitted wardrobes. Basically the whole job is 99.5% finished, but I have only been able to see it through the many photo,s sent by Tanya to me through viber.
Still when I go out in the summer it should be totally finished and hopefully i will be able to enjoy it and get back to holiday mode.Tanya,s parents love everything we have done and cannot believe the transformation of there 100 year old cobb built bungalow.

PostSubject: Re: mike& tanya,s Bulgarian adventures   Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:17 pm

Ah wonderful news Mike g Truly delighted for you both : Roll on the summer eh s

willowsend
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: mike& tanya,s Bulgarian adventures   Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:23 pm

Well done, it's very satisfying when a plan comes together, now enjoy it
Back to top Go down
BGTRAVELLER
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: mike& tanya,s Bulgarian adventures   Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:22 am

That's good news now you can enjoy the fruits of your labours and why not?
Back to top Go down
baxter
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: mike& tanya,s Bulgarian adventures   Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:04 am

Well done to both of you I'm sure that the transformation has made a great difference and very much appreciated. keep posting I enjoy reading your blog
Back to top Go down
mike&tanya
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: mike& tanya,s Bulgarian adventures   Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:13 pm

Well its almost time for the summer trip out, Tanya is out on Wednesday for 3 months (she having some dental work done as its so much cheaper and better out there !), and I am out on 29th for 2 months.
   She has finally talked me into not worrying about everything in UK and coming out for longer ( my brother and his wife are house and cat sitting for most of the time).
Now that the building  project is 99% finished we intend to get out and about more (like we used too). Amongst other things we are planning is  to go to the festivals at Rozhen and Zheravna as I love all of the culture at these festivals. We will also be visiting our group of friends at Pomorie to see how much it has changed since we sold the apartment. Hopefully I can get the Suzuki jeep sorted out and get up into the hills again. I will keep everyone posted as to our latest adventures as and when they happen.

Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: mike& tanya,s Bulgarian adventures   Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:52 pm

Good to hear from you Mike and I hope all goes well for you, by the sounds of it your going to be quite busy and at the same time having some fun. Glad the other half has talked you into coming over for longer it'll do you good to relax and enjoy a
Back to top Go down
Daisy
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: mike& tanya,s Bulgarian adventures   Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:24 pm

Yes good to see you are both still on you adventures, good luck with your trip and the completion. s
Back to top Go down
oddball

PostSubject: Re: mike& tanya,s Bulgarian adventures   Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:29 pm

Good to hear all is well have a great trip g

Thomas
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: mike& tanya,s Bulgarian adventures   Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:19 pm

Have a good trip and let us know how it all goes
Back to top Go down
krypton
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: mike& tanya,s Bulgarian adventures   Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:45 pm

Good luck and don't forget to let us all know how it goes and how the trip was.
Back to top Go down
mike&tanya
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: mike& tanya,s Bulgarian adventures   Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:17 pm

So far since arriving we have had a short visit to Pomorie, which included
A) buying a very nice table and chairs set from Burgas for the balcony in the village (the chairs are made of aluminium and made to look like bamboo). B) a couple of days on the beach topping up the tan C) a quick visit to see friends in Sunny Beach (the quicker the better for me - I must be getting old !!)
Back in the village we had a family of Swallows with 5 chicks build a nest under the balcony, the chicks have fledged now but it was great to watch them grow up and fly, we were treated to days of incredible acrobatic flying by all of the local adult birds right in front of the balcony and sometimes into the balcony it was more interesting to watch than the Armies Mig 29 that often does intricate manoeuvres above our village.
With some friends we went to the big Rozhen festival again this year, unlike last year we went on the first day and was treated to 101 gyda opening up the show. The only down side was that having got within a mile or so of the show ground the Police diverted everyone on a 20 mile detour around the mountains to the other side of the show ground, but the whole day was great with groups of dancers singers and players from all over Bulgaria, i would recommend anyone to try and go to it in the future. On Saturday we had a friend staying over so went up the lift at Sopot and watched the parasenders fly off the top of the mountain.
Plans for the next few weeks are to get the starting problems sorted on the Suzuki jeep, get some swimming in at the local spa towns and go back to Pomorie for a few more days so that we can go to the show at Zharavna before thinking about going back to UK and see if it has settled down since I have been away.

Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: mike& tanya,s Bulgarian adventures   Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:50 am

I know what you mean about Sunny beach I always give it a wide birth I agree its an age thing We always visit the Rozhen festival and always have a great time I especilly love the clothing that is worn and the music but haveing said that there is always plenty to do like Exhibitions of organic food and drinks,  Culinary shows and Cheverme cooking, Dairy and meat products from the farm, Traditional crafts and the list goes on. Anyone who hasn't been I seriopusly recommend it. Nice to hear from you both again [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]&tanya
Back to top Go down
mrswinston

PostSubject: Re: mike& tanya,s Bulgarian adventures   Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:36 am

Great to read some things do go to plan, and I agree if your of a certain age then sunny beach isn't for you I personally hate the place but I do sometimes drive through it very quickly
Back to top Go down
PhantomSpirit

PostSubject: Re: mike& tanya,s Bulgarian adventures   Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:36 pm

Nice read and good luck everything seems to be going well for you both. The less said about SB the better I think its really for the young or at least that's the reputation it has.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: mike& tanya,s Bulgarian adventures   

Back to top Go down

mike& tanya,s Bulgarian adventures

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 11 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next