altText
altText

Share | 

Indian Restaurant food How its done &recipes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
Netsniperthefirst

PostSubject: Indian Restaurant food How its done &recipes   Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:29 am

First topic message reminder :

Hiya Guy's and Gal's just thought I would post up a simple Indian Restaurant dish so you can see what is involved next time you go out for a curry, all these dishes I post you will find in most Indian restaurants with slight differences, all the dishes posted here are what we used in our own restaurant but others have also used the same recipe most of the dishes found in any Indian restaurant are all very common but no one ever tell how its done [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] have ago you will enjoy it

Chicken Bhuna

Medium spices cooked in a thick spicy sauce with finely chopped onions, tomatoes and fresh coriander

Infused Make Up Liquid
500ml of cold water
2 Asian bay leaves
3 green cardamoms
1 whole clove
1 full finger of star anise
1/2 inch piece of cassia bark (not cinnamon)

Pre-cooked chicken

2kg of chicken, cut into bite sized pieces
2 Spanish onions (or Tesco extra large onions)
1 tablespoon of blended garlic
1/2 tablespoon of blended ginger
75ml of vegetable oil
2 level teaspoons of table salt
25g of coconut cream
1 heaped tablespoon of mixed powder

Mixed powder

All measurements are level teaspoons  You will need to mix the following:
8 teaspoons of turmeric powder
6 teaspoons curry powder (must just say curry powder, not Madras powder of anything else).
5 teaspoons of coriander powder
4 teaspoons of cumin powder
2 teaspoons of garlic powder
2 teaspoons of Garam masala
1 teaspoon of ginger powder
1/2 tablespoon of tomato paste

Method:

1. Peel the onions and chop relatively finely
2. You will need 2 pans, one we will call pan A, capable of holding all the chopped onions and all of the water, and another pan we will call pan B, capable of holding 500ml of water, both with room to boil.
3. Place into pan B all of the ingredients for the infused make up liquid.
4. Place into pan A the vegetable oil and sprinkle in half the salt. Add the chopped onions, minced garlic and minced ginger and sprinkle over the remaining salt. Stir in well and leave to stand for 10 minutes. Note: The salt will react with the onions and start to extract juice.
5. Turn on the heat to pan B until boiling and then turn down to a simmer. Apply a medium heat to pan A. Keep stirring the contents and soon you will detect that the cooking process has begun from the sound produced. The chemical and heat reaction between the oil, salt and onions begins to melt the onions, neutralising all of the acids thus making the mixture sweeter, and you will see that juice is being produced at the bottom of the pan. You must keep stirring and turning the onions over. At no point must you let the onions burn or brown at the bottom of the pan, otherwise it is in the bin time.
6. What will happen of course is that you will start to evaporate all of the water off, so after about 10 minutes you need to add a small amount of cold water. To further assist in the melting down you can sprinkle a little more salt onto the top then stir in. BE CAREFUL. You should taste the juice for saltiness. You cannot reverse this, so do not overdo the adding of further salt.
7. Add the chicken, tomato paste, mix powder and the coconut to pan A.
8. Remember to keep stirring. After 5 minutes add the contents of pan B minus the twigs. Top up with water to cover all of the ingredients if necessary.
9. Leave to cook now until the chicken is cooked through. Do not overcook or the chicken will start to break up.
10. Once cooked, turn off the heat and allow to cool down naturally. Then remove the chicken from the base and store or freeze in 8 portion pieces.

Main

1/2 of a medium sized onion, sliced
1/4 of a capsicum, sliced
1 tablespoon of melted ghee
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon of tomato paste mix (Mix equal quantities of tinned tomato paste and water)
1/2 tablespoon of mix powder
Good pinch of salt
1/2 tablespoon of fenugreek leaves
1 medium tomato, chopped coarsely
250ml of melting base gravy
2 tablespoons of fresh coriander, chopped

Base gravy

You will need the following:
Recipe makes approx 2 litres of gravy.

The Body Base

600g of Spanish/Dutch Onions when peeled
80g of carrots
1/4 of a green bell pepper
1/4 of a red bell pepper
1 tablespoon of blended garlic
2 teaspoons of blended ginger
300ml of Rapeseed Oil
1 1/2 level teaspoons of table salt
1.5 litres of hot water
100g of tinned plum tomatoes
4 green cardamoms
1 1/2 tablespoons of mix powder
1 1/2 teaspoons of garam masala
1 1/2 teaspoons of onion powder
1 1/2 tablespoons of tomato paste
50g of block coconut cream

Method

1. Peel the onions and chop relatively fine, approx 1/2 to 3/4 inch pieces
2. Chop the 1/4 green and red pepper into 1/2 inch pieces.
3. Slice the carrots thinly
4. Add the oil to a pan on a low to medium heat, and allow the oil to start to warm up.
5. Add half of the chopped onions. Sprinkle half of the salt over the top of these.
6. Add the remaining onions, sprinkling the remaining salt over the top again. It is during this stage that the salt will begin to react with the onions.
7. Allow the oil to slowly gain temperature.
8. At the point when the oil is just starting to gently fry the onions, give the onions a stir.
9. Add the garlic, followed by the ginger, and stir in. At this point, approximately 4 minutes should have elapsed since adding the oil to the pan.
10. Add the chopped red and green pepper, green cardamoms and carrot. Stir in and allow to cook.
11. After 20 minutes from adding the oil to the pan, add the water.
12. Place the lid on the pan and turn up the heat to boil the contents. Once boiling, turn down to a simmer and add the plum tomato.
13. Stir in and replace the lid. Cook for 30 minutes.
14. Add the mix powder, onion powder and garam masala. Do not stir in.
15. Cook for 10 minutes.
16. Add the tomato paste and block coconut. Stir in and allow to simmer for 20 minutes.
17. Turn off the heat and blend the gravy.
Note 1: the gravy should be the consistency of thin soup.

Method:

1. Preheat pan to medium heat.
2. Add ghee, followed by garlic and cook for 30 seconds, or until garlic is just golden brown.
3. Add onion, capsicum and salt and cook for 30 to 40 seconds, stirring regularly.
4. Add mix powder, tomato paste mix and fenugreek. Stir constantly while adding the chicken.
5. Shake the contents of the pan in a backwards and forwards motion while fiercely stirring the contents for one minute to ensure the ingredients are well mixed.
6. Add 125ml of the gravy and stir for 2 minutes.
7. Add tomato and cook for a further 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
8. Add the coriander, followed by the remainder of the gravy. Leave to cook and thicken for a further 2 minutes and serve.

DONE!!    g

Last edited by Netsniperthefirst on Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.marketdraytonforum.com

AuthorMessage
davshaz
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Indian Restaurant food How its done & recipes   Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:51 am

Thanks nets I did read it while having my and very interesting to.
Back to top Go down
sallyann
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Indian Restaurant food How its done & recipes   Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:55 pm

Does anyone have any real curry dishes that would be eaten by the staff in Indian restaurants.
Back to top Go down
Chris

PostSubject: Re: Indian Restaurant food How its done & recipes   Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:55 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Does anyone have any real curry dishes that would be eaten by the staff in Indian restaurants.

Hi sallyann. Good to see you. Every recipe that Nets has posted in this thread is authentic Indian cuisine, as cooked and eaten by Indians. Some may seem complicated but well worth the extra effort.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tonicwebworks.com
Fletch
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: Indian Restaurant food How its done & recipes   Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:25 pm

This is a recipe that I use for Beef Randang which is Southeast Asia curry

•3/4 to 1 lb. beef
•3-4 cups good-tasting stock, chicken or beef
•1/2 can good-quality coconut milk
•RENDANG PASTE:
•1 stalk lemongrass, finely sliced, OR 3 Tbsp. frozen prepared lemongrass
•1 onion, peeled and quartered
•4 cloves garlic
•1 thumb-size piece galangal (or ginger)
•1-3 red chilies, depending on how hot you like your curry (de-seeded if less heat is desired) OR 1/3 to 3/4 tsp dry chili flakes
•3/4 Tbsp. tamarind paste, OR substitute 3 Tbsp. lime juice
•1 Tbsp. brown sugar
•2 Tbsp. soy sauce
•2 tsp. dark soy sauce
•2 Tbsp. fish sauce
•1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
•1/2 tsp. turmeric
•1 heaping Tbsp. ground coriander
•1 Tbsp. ground cumin
•1+1/2 tsp. cinnamon
•1/4 tsp. nutmeg
•1/4 tsp. cloves
•1 tsp. shrimp paste OR substitute 1+1/2 Tbsp. more fish sauce
•GARNISH (optional):
•fresh coriander OR lime leaf

Preparation:

1.Place whole piece(s) of beef in a pot and cover with stock. Set over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cover. Simmer 30 to 45 minutes (this step makes for tender rendang as opposed to tough or rubbery).
2.Meanwhile, place all 'Rendang Paste' ingredients together in a food processor or large chopper or blender. Process well to create a dark, very fragrant curry paste (if using a blender, add half the coconut milk at this stage to help blend ingredients).
3.When beef is done simmering (it should be starting to feel tender when pierced with a fork), remove from the stock and cut into bite-size chunks or strips. Reserve 1/2 cup of the stock for cooking the curry and discard the rest (or use for other recipes).
4.Place cut beef into a wok or large frying pan. Add the paste and stir to coat the beef. Set over medium-high heat. When paste starts to sizzle, add reserved stock (1/2 cup) and coconut milk. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce head to medium-low, until you get a gentle simmer. Cover and cook 30 minutes or longer, stirring every 5 minutes or so, until you're happy with the tenderness of the beef. Tip: Rendang is a 'drier' kind of curry, which means the spices really stick to the meat and there isn't a lot of sauce. If you'd prefer more sauce, you can add more coconut milk - just be sure to add more fish sauce as well to keep the intense flavor of the dish.
5.Taste-test the rendang, adding more fish sauce if not salty-flavorful enough, or more tamarind or lime juice if too salty for your taste. Top with fresh coriander or lime leaves, and serve with Thai jasmine rice.

Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Indian Restaurant food How its done & recipes   Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:34 am

Hi sallyann. Good to see you. Every recipe that Nets has posted in this thread is authentic Indian cuisine, as cooked and eaten by Indians. Some may seem complicated but well worth the extra effort.

I agree Chris I have tried quite a few and all with some sort of success, but I just wondered if there were any recipes I could try of the type of home cooking traditional to the Indian restaurant staff food. s Thank you Fletch I will add this one to my list and give it a try. s
Back to top Go down
Chris

PostSubject: Re: Indian Restaurant food How its done & recipes   Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:10 am

I just wondered if there were any recipes I could try of the type of home cooking traditional to the Indian restaurant staff food.

I've got a book somewhere that are traditional Punjabi recipes ... I'll try dig it out and post a couple.
Back to top Go down
sallyann
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Indian Restaurant food How its done & recipes   Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:24 am

Thanks Chris look forward to it.
Back to top Go down
Netsniperthefirst

PostSubject: Re: Indian Restaurant food How its done & recipes   Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:00 am

Hi Sally here one you can try but it won't be anything like you have had before but well worth trying and who knows you may prefer it. I've written to out here so its easy to understand.

We use cook this at least twice a week .

In a stock pot/ large saucepan add 1/2 std pack of Anchor butter. 1/2 chefs spoon of butter ghee and 1/2 a chefs spoon of olive oil.
once heated add in 4 Bay leaves, 6 Cloves, 1 Star anise, 3 x 1 inch piece of Cinnamon stick, 4 Green cardamoms, 2 Black cardamoms, 2 tsp Cumin seeds and 2 teaspoons of Ponch phoran (see below)

Ponch phoran mix

1 Tablespoon Cumin Seed
1 tablespoon brown mustard seeds
1 tablespoon fennel seeds
1 Tablespoon nigella seeds (also called black cumin or kalonji)
1½ Teaspoons fenugreek seeds

Fry off the whole spices for 2-3 minutes.

To this add 4 sliced large onions, 8 sliced garlic cloves, 1 x 2 inch finely chopped piece of fresh ginger and 4-6 chopped green chillies with seeds and 2 tsp of salt, Handful of fresh chopped coriander with stalks.

Cook the onions for 15-20 mins until they have sweated down and become almost transparent.

Now add 1 tblsp turmeric, 2tsp cumin powder, 2 tsp coriander powder (The cumin and coriander, I grind fresh as I need it ) 1 tsp paprika powder .

Cook out the spices and then add 2 x std cans of peeled plum tomatoes and 6 fresh chopped tomatoes.
Cook for a further 20 mins stirring occasionally until the oils separate.

If you are using Mutton or Lamb, try and get your butcher to supply back chop on the bone (any Asian halal butchery will know what you want

If using chicken, skin it, wash inside and out in cold water. pat dry, chop into small pieces, bone in , and brown in same way as the lamb below before adding to the pot.

In a separate pan brown and seal the meat add this to your curry pot.
Add 1 pint of water and simmer for 1 1/2 hours or until the meat is tender.
serve with plain rice, and some natural yoghurt.

I always cook this the night before for the following day, it is even better .
Let me know what you think g

http://www.marketdraytonforum.com
sallyann
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Indian Restaurant food How its done & recipes   Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:54 pm

Thank you very much. First I will have to see if I can get all the spices here ? if not I'll try and get them sent to me but I am going to give it a go T
Back to top Go down
Chris

PostSubject: Re: Indian Restaurant food How its done & recipes   Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:00 pm

Thank you very much.. but I am going to give it a go

Me too!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Indian Restaurant food How its done &recipes   

Back to top Go down

Indian Restaurant food How its done &recipes

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5