Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
cheekychops
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: " What's wrong with Turkey"    Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:56 pm

"
What's wrong with Turkey"

I thought I would start a new topic since we seem to be getting a few on here from Turkey!! which got me wondering? why are Brits moving or considering the move? from Turkey ? is it because of Political unrest? is it because of the possible problem with Iran? is it the cost of living ? or the problems they seem to be having joining the EU? lets hear what you have to say??? c
Back to top Go down
snail
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: " What's wrong with Turkey"    Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:22 pm

This is my own personal view of what l have experienced and how it has effected me.Of course there are many other issues not related to The property industry.
What l think is wrong with Turkey is the way the foreign buyers have been mistreated without any of the proper regulative boards in place to help the foreigner that has contributed so much in the Turkish economy.You would think the authorities would stamp this corrupt practice out,since the builders have a nasty habit of not paying their taxes.So the buyer that has paid the full amount and was promised the title deeds will be issued once the final payment has been handed over to the builder will issue the Tapu.
"
HAH"
,that's a laugh.because the reason why they use sinister tactics is to make sure the buyer doesn't know about the abuse of the title deeds.The right leegal tapu cannot be issued until the taxes are all paid up and has been passed by the council for Habitation.Many are still waiting for their Tapu's even after so many years with feeble excuses from the builder to play on time for his own favour.

What they need to do is use the same policies as Britian to plug this corruption that has plagued so many lives into a life of financial worries and ill health.
Back to top Go down
Sarah
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: " What's wrong with Turkey"    Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:27 pm

Thats very interesting but there is this sort of corruption all over the world and Bulgaria has its share too but I think if you choose the right people and good recommendations then you won't go far wrong, I don't think its as complicated in Bulgaria as you have said it is in Turkey but there are pitfalls everywhere but Bulgaria is doing quite a bit to reduce the possibility of property fraud, however in new developments where people pay so much up front and then the builder goes bust or disappears there isn't much that can be done about that since unlike the UK there is not much of a guarantee protection system for the buyer but I would say all in all that its a lot better now in Bulgaria than it was 5 years ago.

sarah
Back to top Go down
pj61
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: " What's wrong with Turkey"    Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:50 pm

Please read this piece by a friend of mine also an ex Turkey resident

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: " What's wrong with Turkey"    Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:38 pm

Its rather strange in some respects I see that some in Bulgaria are moving to places like Turkey, Cyprus and other places yet some in Turkey and Cyprus want to move to Bg but looking at the story above I can see why to some extent, and I do think that what Sarah has said is about right things are better now in Bulgaria than they were and can only get better, I think what ever your reason is for moving only you will know what it is your looking for in your life but I do see Bulgaria as the place that a lot will be looking at in the future you only have to look at all the big companies that are moving in which speaks volumes because they are there for the long term and obviously know that Bulgaria does have something to offer and will be at the top of choices as far as destinations are concerned
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: " What's wrong with Turkey"    Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:03 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Please read this piece by a friend of mine also an ex Turkey resident

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
So to all of you that have not lived in Turkey. They are making life very difficult for us to stay, it seems they want us to buy and come for holidays but, they do not want us living in their country. We are all wondering what else they have up there sleeve. Turkey can make laws and rules just and when they wish to and we have no warning or written confirmation as to what will be next. We are always the last to find out. Turkey has done very well out of us that live here or bought holiday homes, when we first came to Didim to buy they all drove around in old bangers. You should see what they drive now, even we could never afford some of the vehicles they have.

This is a very corrupt country. Not many Brits here win any court cases ( well i have not known any ) they lose everything, then get billed on top of that from the lawyer who is also a friend of the builder that has had all your money, it goes on and on.
Now the season is coming to an end the burgularies will be starting. Police are not interested. You call them and they say you not speak Turkish and put the phone down.
We could all go on about this and that, it is like living with a time bomb.
Back to top Go down
snail
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: " What's wrong with Turkey"    Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:37 pm

A very well written straight to the point comment itchyfeet.Totally agree with you.
Did you hear about the road tax in Altinkum where the buyers have to cough up yet more money to hand over to the authorities and also the huge inflated increases in the complexes maintenance charges have been known to jump 3 fold in one year without any improvements in service.
l feel like one of the sheep in the flock being herded towards the slaughter house.And not one sign of any kind on cracking down on this corruption.Sometimes l do wonder whether this was planned right at the beginning to find some way to lure the foreign buyers in to depart them of their money and also with ongoing policies to bleed them dry with solicitors and other charges that seem to just appear out of the blue.No matter how hard you bang your head against the wall,they will not listen to the damage corruption can inflict on the country

l do hope they realize the severity of what corruption can bring to a country.The Roman empire conquered all their enemies except one that led to the downfall of the Roman Empire.And that enemy was corruption.
Back to top Go down
nu2bg
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: " What's wrong with Turkey"    Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:55 pm

This is a wonderful topic and I've enjoyed reading it I know that may sound terrible because of the heartache that others have had to endure but it makes me realise that Bulgaria isn't so bad after all
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: " What's wrong with Turkey"    Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:53 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
A very well written straight to the point comment itchyfeet.Totally agree with you.
Did you hear about the road tax in Altinkum where the buyers have to cough up yet more money to hand over to the authorities and also the huge inflated increases in the complexes maintenance charges have been known to jump 3 fold in one year without any improvements in service.
l feel like one of the sheep in the flock being herded towards the slaughter house.And not one sign of any kind on cracking down on this corruption.Sometimes l do wonder whether this was planned right at the beginning to find some way to lure the foreign buyers in to depart them of their money and also with ongoing policies to bleed them dry with solicitors and other charges that seem to just appear out of the blue.No matter how hard you bang your head against the wall,they will not listen to the damage corruption can inflict on the country

l do hope they realize the severity of what corruption can bring to a country.The Roman empire conquered all their enemies except one that led to the downfall of the Roman Empire.And that enemy was corruption.
When we went to pay our council tax for the year a lady came out from a room and said you have to pay for road works, we said road works no work has been done on our road, we did not pay straight away. We went home asked Turkish neighbours and of course they would not pay any extra, shook their heads. So we took a Turkish friend and paper work galore came out going back over 4 yrs. In our small road only three Brits own property which we are full time the other two holiday homes, so we all paid, but we will never know about the others.
So many so called law changes have been brought in this year here are some. Health/Home Insurance if you paid to an English Company you are no longer insured they said, must be bought in Turkey. Resident permit doubled. Kos trip run we do to save money going to stop ( but did stop it without any warning in June/July ) . David Cameron came on a visit and said he would do all he can for Turkey to help them get in the EU, so they changed it back for a while, but reading the article above it will go ahead in April which we have not been informed of this.
We are going to be forced into Health care which they will start in October, and take about 140tl each a month from us,this ruling should be for people that work here we don't work. British Consulate have not come back with any answers for us, and time is creeping on.
So sorry to our new friends in Bulgaria you must think we are right moaners but, you did ask.
Back to top Go down
lollypop

PostSubject: Re: " What's wrong with Turkey"    Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:03 am

Political unrest, corruption, crime we could be speaking about any place in the world including the UK. We are on the move from Turkey very soon having recently sold -up! we are off to UK for a short spell first, then who knows where we will end up. We will certainly give bulgaria the once over but I am leaning more towards Spain! but I digress back to topic;
for or us the main issues are:

The uncertainty of what will they come up with next to part us from our hard earned cash ( yes okay we get a decent intrest rate! but the capital was originally ours)

Not being able to work without a permit (which is nigh on impossible to get) yes, we knew about the work situation before we came here, but after 4 years of sitting on our ars** we are bored to tears and far too young to move to a retirement home!

The recent YES vote in the referendum to change the Turkish Constitution may result in serious changes to peoples way of life here particulary for us foreigners!

The way Turkey seems to be cosying up to IRAN, whether this is just annoy/scare the west to push along Turkeys EU membership bid I dont know? but as we all know Iran is not exactly a friendly place for non-christians!!

Some of the points already raised e.g the corruption and crime here but I expect Bulgaria has its fair share of that.

And I want to hear church bells on a Sunday!!!!!

Where we "
lived"
is actually a nice place, a bit rough round the edges but on the whole a good place to retire;
good beaches, fairly decent shopping and restaurants, lots of bars of course and you can just sit back and let you cash earn your living for you!
Back to top Go down
Larlar

PostSubject: Re: " What's wrong with Turkey"    Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:32 pm

:Howdy:har har I just took a look through the elhovo news online and lo and behold in one of the pictures is an ex Resident of Altinkum.....in his big ole cowboy hat -nice ole chap who plays the Electric Guitar. Did wonder how he was doing. Now we know hes fine.
Back to top Go down
pj61
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: " What's wrong with Turkey"    Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:04 pm

Harry is doing fine here and has no hasssle from the law about entertaining people like he had in Didim, even if it was for a drink and a meal guess they never really want people to enjoy thier holidays or evenings out

PostSubject: Re: " What's wrong with Turkey"    Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:10 pm

O thanks for that. Tom and Judy saw him and he said he was bored to death but then thats Harry all over never happy unless hes moaning - glad hes made friends and can play. We was in touch but lost him on the msn - assumed he had no internet connections or not feeling so chatty?? We will probably catch up and explore Bulgaria in the Spring time and rent but I think we will go more nearer the resort areas for Paul to play then into the sticks.
Back to top Go down
scott
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: " What's wrong with Turkey"    Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:39 pm

Thank you all for the information here its always good to know whats happening in other countries
Back to top Go down
Sarah
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: " What's wrong with Turkey"    Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:33 pm

Just goes to show you that the grass isn't always greener elsewhere ? makes you think doesn't it ?????

sarah
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: " What's wrong with Turkey"    

Back to top Go down

" What's wrong with Turkey"

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next