Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
oddball

PostSubject: Silistra Orphanage   Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:33 pm

First topic message reminder :

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

INTRODUCTION TO Silistra Orphanages March 28, 2009,

Hi Guys

Well it's time for us to start planning our next trip to the Silistra Orphanage. You will probably remember that Dougie and myself Berni sent a lorry load of goods over to the Orphanage in October 2008 and paid for all the transport ourself. It was a wonderful success, that we said we would do it again this year. Most of you followed the blog and seen the pictures.

I have had a small amount of participation from various companies I wrote to. They have send a few boxes of stuff which is a great help, but Freecycle and Netmums still remain our main suppliers. We have filled 79 boxes already but this is now shared between, our own Orphanage and a baby Orphanage in Silistra, we have been told about and what they need etc. We will visit them in Sept with some goods and see what it is like etc. We have also been collecting stuff for our villagers and the home for the elderly and also the Hospital - which we have a few wheelchairs, crutches and walking aids and a mobility scooter - although I am not sure what to do with the mobility scooter yet - I would like to trade it in for some wheelchairs, as they would be much more useful. We will have to look at that in due course.

I have approached our local TA and the WI and they are all collecting for us now, how wonderful is that. thumbsup Got the Brownies and possibly one school doing shoe box appeal for Christmas too. We are over the moon as we were donated an ex hire 40ft by 40ft marquee. All we need to do is buy the metal stakes. They are expensive here in UK £3.50 each and we need about 60, so we will get them made up in BG, which will help the local ironmonger business too.

Now that we have asked people to help, we are just delighted with the response and they are more than happy to be able to help in some way. Mind you, it is still very hard to get a foot in the door - Most companies have their own charities etc they donate to and believe me, it can be very disponding work, but then you get one that say YES, wow! it like you hit the jackpot thumbsup

We have people dropping stuff off and having a coffee and a chat and they are happy to see for themselves what we are like and get more info on our cause, nine times out of ten they will come back with more stuff.

Dougie and I wash, sort, pack the clothes and label the toiletries in Bulgarian. Then we label the boxes and store. But our spare room is getting jammed packed now so we are looking for a kind soul to donate warehouse space. The TA has offered to keep their stuff there until we find suitable storage space. so no panic yet. I am sure something will turn up. The RAF may also be helping us the end of April.

We will be paying the transport again ourself, although, when we are back on our feet properly we will be doing carboot sales, raffles etc to raise the funds. As most of you already know Dougie has had heart surgery in Nov 08 it went well, but he has to undergo another op. He is gutted, as he wanted to be in BG for April, still it can't be helped, his health comes first. I too went down with an illness 3 days after Dougie came out of hospital from his surgery, I was rushed in for another 8 days - We have been lucky in the past with only had minor ailments, the normal cold etc but for both of us to be struck down with major illness at once. it's just unbelievable. I am doing well too, again just a small op and please God we will be back to normal.

Bulgariabill has been a tower of strength to us and has build us a website and it will be going live in April, so hopefully we may get donations from there to make the improvements necessary in the Orphanage, but who knows what will happen.

I have written to various transport companies as they might be in a position to offer us some free space, but with the credit crunch, it is very difficult on them too. But I will keep trying.

I have contacted Opticians and now have 3 of them collecting recycling specs for us, I just need to find an Optician in Silistra to test for free I am working on that too.

I also need to find a way of getting the marquee out as the centre pole is about 25ft long with no breaks, so an all in one unit, the rest folds down - Could be, if we can't get it transported as a whole, we might be able to get a new pole in BG, but I have no idea of the cost, would that be possible??

Well now, you are all up to date again. Unfortunately, it is unlikely we will be moving to BG for another few years until Dougie health is all clear. But we can go for the summer months. We will start off by going for a month in Sept, naturally we want to be there when the lorry load arrives. Oh! it's so exciting I can't wait. We would love to have a big party at the Orphanage in our new marquee so might plan something around that -so watch this space.

Oddy [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

AuthorMessage
therowfamily
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Silistra Orphanage   Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:45 pm

Do we know what the percentage from each sale is likely to be donated to Silistra?
Back to top Go down
silky4015
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: Silistra Orphanage   Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:18 pm

John here, yes all profits will go to the orphanage, as for the percentage of the sales I cannot rightly say as the postage in the UK is one costing, but a friend of mine in Canada as ordered a copy and the cost was over double the UK cost and anyone purchasing a book from Bulgaria, the postage will be different again. However I expect the profit from each sale to be in the region of £4.25 after paying the printer and the postage of the books from them to me.

I’m awaiting orders now, so that there will only be one big order and one lot of postage to keep the cost down.

I hope this as answered you questions.
Back to top Go down
therowfamily
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Silistra Orphanage   Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:31 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
John here, yes all profits will go to the orphanage, as for the percentage of the sales I cannot rightly say as the postage in the UK is one costing, but a friend of mine in Canada as ordered a copy and the cost was over double the UK cost and anyone purchasing a book from Bulgaria, the postage will be different again. However I expect the profit from each sale to be in the region of £4.25 after paying the printer and the postage of the books from them to me.

I’m awaiting orders now, so that there will only be one big order and one lot of postage to keep the cost down.

I hope this as answered you questions.

T
Back to top Go down
Noddy
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: Silistra Orphanage   Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:40 am

How does anyone pay for this book and does it matter where you live in order to get it delivered?
Back to top Go down
silky4015
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: Silistra Orphanage   Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:01 am

Payment can be made by UK cheque or PayPal, send me a private message and I will let you know my home address for the cheque or my email address for PayPal.

Postage for UK and Europe is covered by the £10 purchase for the book, Outside of those areas, I will have to find out the cost and let the person know.

Up to now I have orders for 12 books, I’m looking for 20 or over before I order the books so as to cut down on postage from the printer.

John

Tried to put a photo of the book on site, but failed miserably. Help anyone?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Silistra Orphanage   Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:04 am

Add me to your list and pm me your info for Paypal g

Admin
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Back to top Go down
http://www.ourbulgariaforum.com
Admin
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Silistra Orphanage   Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:12 pm

Payment and details sent John g

Admin
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Back to top Go down
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Silistra Orphanage   Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:32 am

T T T :Fantastic: Ashley you are an

oddball

PostSubject: Re: Silistra Orphanage   Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:15 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Payment can be made by UK cheque or PayPal, send me a private message and I will let you know my home address for the cheque or my email address for PayPal.

Postage for UK and Europe is covered by the £10 purchase for the book, Outside of those areas, I will have to find out the cost and let the person know.

Up to now I have orders for 12 books, I’m looking for 20 or over before I order the books so as to cut down on postage from the printer.

John

Tried to put a photo of the book on site, but failed miserably. Help anyone?

Just had an email from John to say he has sold 15 books so far g

therowfamily
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Silistra Orphanage   Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:03 pm

Brilliant news Berni I would but one but I just don't read book, but well done to those that have.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Silistra Orphanage   Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:25 pm

I've just received mine thank you T

Admin
Back to top Go down
silky4015
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: Silistra Orphanage   Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:47 pm

Thank you for the photo Admin. I tried to put one on site, but not competent with that side of the compurer.

John
Back to top Go down
bulgarianlessons

PostSubject: Re: Silistra Orphanage   Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:59 pm

Fantastic to read about your super human efforts Berni &
Dougie for the Silistra orphanage! I spent a few years bringing groups of marginalised UK youngsters to Bulgaria to renovate (in their own way) orphanages and 'half-way homes' on EU projects. Silistra is quite a trek from Sofia but i can pass you some contact details of an organisation that still do such projects in Bulgaria if you think it could be something that could benefit the orphanage.

Keep up the good work!!
Back to top Go down
bigsavak
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Silistra Orphanage   Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:40 pm

Well done on the book it looks very good when I'm next in the Uk I will order one but I won't while I'm in Bg because all my post gets stolen.
Back to top Go down
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Silistra Orphanage   Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:48 pm

Thank Ashley that is brilliant now can you put it on my facebook and the forum group facebook please.

Thank you John that really does look good well done!!! Also just so you are aware whatever funds you raise will go toward the activity holiday we are planning for the children of the Dimcho so all we need to do now guys is spread the word. T

bulgarianlessons: Thank you for your lovely comments and offer to pass on info, yes please that would be a good idea thanks a million appreciate that very much indeed.

Oddy:

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Silistra Orphanage   

Back to top Go down

Silistra Orphanage

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 8 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next