Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
AuthorMessage
oddball

PostSubject: Silistra Orphanage   Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:33 pm

First topic message reminder :

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

INTRODUCTION TO Silistra Orphanages March 28, 2009,

Hi Guys

Well it's time for us to start planning our next trip to the Silistra Orphanage. You will probably remember that Dougie and myself Berni sent a lorry load of goods over to the Orphanage in October 2008 and paid for all the transport ourself. It was a wonderful success, that we said we would do it again this year. Most of you followed the blog and seen the pictures.

I have had a small amount of participation from various companies I wrote to. They have send a few boxes of stuff which is a great help, but Freecycle and Netmums still remain our main suppliers. We have filled 79 boxes already but this is now shared between, our own Orphanage and a baby Orphanage in Silistra, we have been told about and what they need etc. We will visit them in Sept with some goods and see what it is like etc. We have also been collecting stuff for our villagers and the home for the elderly and also the Hospital - which we have a few wheelchairs, crutches and walking aids and a mobility scooter - although I am not sure what to do with the mobility scooter yet - I would like to trade it in for some wheelchairs, as they would be much more useful. We will have to look at that in due course.

I have approached our local TA and the WI and they are all collecting for us now, how wonderful is that. thumbsup Got the Brownies and possibly one school doing shoe box appeal for Christmas too. We are over the moon as we were donated an ex hire 40ft by 40ft marquee. All we need to do is buy the metal stakes. They are expensive here in UK £3.50 each and we need about 60, so we will get them made up in BG, which will help the local ironmonger business too.

Now that we have asked people to help, we are just delighted with the response and they are more than happy to be able to help in some way. Mind you, it is still very hard to get a foot in the door - Most companies have their own charities etc they donate to and believe me, it can be very disponding work, but then you get one that say YES, wow! it like you hit the jackpot thumbsup

We have people dropping stuff off and having a coffee and a chat and they are happy to see for themselves what we are like and get more info on our cause, nine times out of ten they will come back with more stuff.

Dougie and I wash, sort, pack the clothes and label the toiletries in Bulgarian. Then we label the boxes and store. But our spare room is getting jammed packed now so we are looking for a kind soul to donate warehouse space. The TA has offered to keep their stuff there until we find suitable storage space. so no panic yet. I am sure something will turn up. The RAF may also be helping us the end of April.

We will be paying the transport again ourself, although, when we are back on our feet properly we will be doing carboot sales, raffles etc to raise the funds. As most of you already know Dougie has had heart surgery in Nov 08 it went well, but he has to undergo another op. He is gutted, as he wanted to be in BG for April, still it can't be helped, his health comes first. I too went down with an illness 3 days after Dougie came out of hospital from his surgery, I was rushed in for another 8 days - We have been lucky in the past with only had minor ailments, the normal cold etc but for both of us to be struck down with major illness at once. it's just unbelievable. I am doing well too, again just a small op and please God we will be back to normal.

Bulgariabill has been a tower of strength to us and has build us a website and it will be going live in April, so hopefully we may get donations from there to make the improvements necessary in the Orphanage, but who knows what will happen.

I have written to various transport companies as they might be in a position to offer us some free space, but with the credit crunch, it is very difficult on them too. But I will keep trying.

I have contacted Opticians and now have 3 of them collecting recycling specs for us, I just need to find an Optician in Silistra to test for free I am working on that too.

I also need to find a way of getting the marquee out as the centre pole is about 25ft long with no breaks, so an all in one unit, the rest folds down - Could be, if we can't get it transported as a whole, we might be able to get a new pole in BG, but I have no idea of the cost, would that be possible??

Well now, you are all up to date again. Unfortunately, it is unlikely we will be moving to BG for another few years until Dougie health is all clear. But we can go for the summer months. We will start off by going for a month in Sept, naturally we want to be there when the lorry load arrives. Oh! it's so exciting I can't wait. We would love to have a big party at the Orphanage in our new marquee so might plan something around that -so watch this space.

Oddy [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

AuthorMessage
Admin
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Silistra Orphanage   Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:09 pm

Done on both g

Admin
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Back to top Go down
http://www.ourbulgariaforum.com
silky4015
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: Silistra Orphanage   Tue May 15, 2012 8:15 pm

ORPHANAGE ANTHOLOGY GUIDELINES 2012 [size=150:3o15kc8i](book 2)
Well folks we make a small profit on book 1. T

Now it’s time for submissions for book 2.

John

Submission Guidelines for Poetry and Short stories

DEADLINE: Sunday, 5th August 11:59pm GMT 2012
By submitting the authors grant Longford Writers’ non-exclusive rights to publish their poem/s and/or short stories in print, digital and audio on behalf of the Dimcho Debelianov Orphanage in Bulgaria. For one year only.
Copyright remain with the author.
Please submit to [size=150:3o15kc8i][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] all correspondence is by email to keep cost to a minimum. The less cost used on postage, the more cash to spend on the children.

Guidelines
1. We accept poetry in ANY form.
2. No more than three poems per submission.
3. Short stories no more than 2500 words.
4. Previous published work accepted. (Please state where first published)
5. After publication, the books will be on sale at a cost of £10 and that include P&
P for UK only. A small extra P&
P may be charge for overseas buyers.
All profits made from the books are going towards the orphanage. No-one is being paid for their services.
Back to top Go down
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Silistra Orphanage   Tue May 15, 2012 10:50 pm

Thanks John T

I will post this on the facebook groups too. Well done you. and thank you for your continual support to the Silsitra Orphanage we really appreciate it very much indeed. Angel

Berni &
Dougie g

Brian1
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: Silistra Orphanage   Fri May 18, 2012 9:23 am

Good luck with the next one hope its a success, I'm sorry I'm no good at writing otherwise I would help.
Back to top Go down
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Silistra Orphanage   Fri May 18, 2012 2:39 pm

silky4015 wrote:
ORPHANAGE ANTHOLOGY GUIDELINES 2012 [size=150:1pcxk156](book 2)
Well folks we make a small profit on book 1. T

Now it’s time for submissions for book 2.

John

Submission Guidelines for Poetry and Short stories

DEADLINE: Sunday, 5th August 11:59pm GMT 2012
By submitting the authors grant Longford Writers’ non-exclusive rights to publish their poem/s and/or short stories in print, digital and audio on behalf of the Dimcho Debelianov Orphanage in Bulgaria. For one year only.
Copyright remain with the author.
Please submit to [size=150:1pcxk156][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] all correspondence is by email to keep cost to a minimum. The less cost used on postage, the more cash to spend on the children.

Guidelines
1. We accept poetry in ANY form.
2. No more than three poems per submission.
3. Short stories no more than 2500 words.
4. Previous published work accepted. (Please state where first published)
5. After publication, the books will be on sale at a cost of £10 and that include P&
P for UK only. A small extra P&
P may be charge for overseas buyers.
All profits made from the books are going towards the orphanage. No-one is being paid for their services.

Come on you budding writers out there lets fill those pages c

oddball

PostSubject: Re: Silistra Orphanage   Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:40 am

Sad news! Met with Stilian yesterday, the Director of the Silistra Orphanage Dimcho Debelianov and it appears Social Services have finally decided to close the Dimcho as an orphanage. So as from the 1st July the Dimcho will be closed. The building is now too big and costly for the amount of children there now. Yesterday there were only 18 children in residence.

The Social Services are making big changes and have also closed our Baby orphanage last year and it is now a Drop in Day Centre for children with disabilities. They opened the new White Dove Disability Home in May 2014 and 15 children from the Baby orphanage were moved there, the rest were either adpoted or fostered. The idea is to get rid of all the big orphanages and make smaller one to accommodate up to 15 children so it is more family orientated and help the children to learn life skills. Some of our older children from the Dimcho moved to a small home last year and it too is working out well.

Once the Dimcho goes I doubt we will be needed much however, we are very happy with the progress we have made throughout the last 8 years. We have done what we set out to do which was to give the children in the orphanages a happier and more comfortable life and we have exceeded this goal without a doubt. Thank you everyone who supported us and special thanks to Willowsend, Ashley, Chris & Bill who have been with us all the way and more you did great!

I will meet with Social Service later in the month and discuss matters further.

Thanks a million.

willowsend
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: Silistra Orphanage   Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:55 am

It is sad news, but it's also happy news to know that you did all you both could do to make those children treat you as Auntie and Uncle or even Mum and Dad. To see their faces at the garden party which we were very happy to be part of will be a memory we will live with especially all the time we are involved with Bulgaria g

Well done to both of you and with whatever you get involved with in the future

H
Back to top Go down
varnagirl
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Silistra Orphanage   Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:45 pm

so whats going to happen to the kids now Oddy...plus all the equipement furniture etc you have put into the place ?
Back to top Go down
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Silistra Orphanage   Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:14 pm

varnagirl wrote:
so whats going to happen to the kids now Oddy...plus all the equipement  furniture etc you have put into the place ?

Over the last 2 years the children in the Dimcho have been moved on to different areas or sent back to family members and the new children are only staying short periods until they are found new homes in different areas, plus the new home opened for the older children so 14 went there. They have been planning this for a while this is why we had no Garden Party last year as we were not sure the Dimcho would still be open, but it is official now they have picked the flat for the 10 children and it is all being worked on now.

The equipment ie beds, bikes toys tv computers etc were donated to the Dimcho but officially they are property of the Social Services as everything has to be logged in. The new home was furnished from the items at the Dimcho as will this new home be in July and everything left over will be stored until the next new home is needed or replacements. In July there will have set up 5 new homes in Silistra.

We have brought a small load 4 pallets over this year but now I am thinking instead of sharing it out as normal I will give it all to Social Services and let them distribute accordingly. Will meet with them next week and see what they say.

baxter
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: Silistra Orphanage   Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:10 am

Good news Berni and the idea of sharing sounds to be a plan. Well done to you all.
Back to top Go down
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Silistra Orphanage   Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:25 am

Yesterday we took all my knitted chicks filled with choc cream eggs donated from UK to Tanya the director of the Disability Drop In Centre as it appears all the other homes were going there at 1pm to do the triditional egg colouring, so thought it best to have all the our chicks and eggs in one place for distributing. Unfortunately we could not be there as were going to Tutrakan to pick up a donated massage bed and bundle of towels from a friend Jancie for the Disability Centre.  Then going onto the orphanage Malak Preslavets later to deliver their eggs as they live about 60km from Silistra

oddball

PostSubject: Re: Silistra Orphanage   Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:51 pm

Sorry Guys

I just cannot work out how to put the Spring/Summer PDF Newsletter on here  it is on the facebook page should you wish to view.  Maybe Ash Bill or Chris can work out how to do it.

Last edited by oddball on Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.bulgariaorphanagesillistra.com
bulgariabill
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: Silistra Orphanage   Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:23 am

Quote :
I just cannot work out how to put the Spring/Summer PDF Newsletter on here it is on the facebook page should you wish to view. Maybe Ash Bill or Chris can work out how to do it.

I Have tried using attach File?

Bill
Attachments
Spring nl 2016 copy 1pdf.pdf
Spring Newsletter PDf
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(647 Kb) Downloaded 2 times
Back to top Go down
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Silistra Orphanage   Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:58 am

T Bill that is great!! well done g

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Silistra Orphanage   

Back to top Go down

Silistra Orphanage

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 9 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9