altText

Share | 

Robotic surgery grows more popular in Bulgaria

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Robotic surgery grows more popular in Bulgaria   Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:18 pm

[size=55:9qemxzcx]BNR

Surgeons in Georgi Stranski University Hospital in Pleven (Central Bulgaria) have successfully managed to introduce robot-assisted surgery in Bulgaria. For almost two years, the team of medics working with the only robotic surgical system in Bulgaria, the Da Vinci system, relied solely on EU funding for maintaining the system and purchasing consumables. Since February this year, the state has already made a commitment to assist this type of surgical procedures whose widest application is in onco-gynaecology and urology. What is more, another robotic system is expected to be purchased within three years with state funding and be used by Sofia medics. Taking into account the high morbidity from cancer among Bulgarian women and the increasingly younger age of female cancer patients, medics hail the desire of politicians to take measures in this direction. They point out that robot-assisted surgical procedures are very sparing for patients, hospital stay is reduced to the minimum, and recovery is much faster. Over almost two years, the surgeons at the University Hospital in Pleven have performed more than one hundred operations using the Da Vinci robot, treating patients from around the country. The leader of the team of surgeons is Professor Grigor Gorchev, head of the onco-gynaecology clinic at the University hospital. Here is more from him:

“Two years ago, we started a project for introducing and developing robot-assisted surgery in Bulgaria. We prepared for using this equipment for three years. It takes serious expertise and experience as this is virtually a remote operation in which the surgeon gives commands to a robot. It takes precision, accuracy, and very good anatomical and technical knowledge. We furnished several state-of-the-art operating rooms for tele-medicine, which was the first stage. Afterwards, we made a modern center for training of interns in endoscopic surgery, using modern surgical equipment. We are now training medics from across Bulgaria, and also from abroad, who wish to practice mini-invasive surgery.”

As Professor Grigor Gorchev goes on to say, robot-assisted surgery originated in the US in 2006. Bulgaria purchased such robotic equipment first in 2008, only two years later. Medics at the Pleven-based University Hospital work in tight cooperation with their colleagues from the US. A proof of the achievements of Bulgarian medics is the invitation they received from the International Organization on the applications of robotics in gynaecology to deliver a speech on the European experience in robot-assisted surgery. Bulgaria was selected instead of other European countries working with such equipment such as France, Germany, Italy, because of the number of operations performed in this country. For two years only, Pleven medics have performed operations on more than 80 women with cervical cancer. In comparison, for the same period 40 such operations were done in Italy and only 30 in Sweden. This, however, is not a reason for joy as this shows the high morbidity rate in Bulgaria and the inadequate prevention measures. Bulgarian medics will also focus their efforts on the applications of robotic surgery in urology.

Admin
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Back to top Go down
http://www.ourbulgariaforum.com

PostSubject: Re: Robotic surgery grows more popular in Bulgaria   Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:31 pm

I expect the robots will at least be able to differentiate between the left and right arms of a toddler unlike the rakia soaked Bulgarian surgeons s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s
Back to top Go down
mickhev
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Robotic surgery grows more popular in Bulgaria   Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:42 pm

I think that was a mistake they will regret,lets not forget these mistakes happen in the uk

Mike
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Robotic surgery grows more popular in Bulgaria   Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:51 pm

mickhev wrote:
I think that was a mistake they will regret,lets not forget these mistakes happen in the uk

Mike

Yes, this does happen in the UK and everywhere, but you do not (at least not that frequently) get drink sodden surgeons, etc in the West as you do in Eastern Europe. A few years ago I had an emergency and had to visit a dentist in Moscow - his daily intake, as I later learnt from my girlfriend who took me to him, was 1.25 litres of vodka per day, every day. Luckily, I caught him at 08.30, so he had only just started and did a reasonable, but not good, job. Three months after my visit he was dead. He was 38.
Back to top Go down
mickhev
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Robotic surgery grows more popular in Bulgaria   Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:43 pm

As they say shit happens,but generally Bulgaria is very good.health service is brill,but like all counteries things happen,that we can all pick up on

Mike
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: Robotic surgery grows more popular in Bulgaria   Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:45 pm

I can assure the Georgi Stranski University Hospital that there are certain parts of my body that I wouldn't want a robot going anywhere near!!!!

s s s
Back to top Go down
scott
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Robotic surgery grows more popular in Bulgaria   Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:47 pm

Maybe they send them to the Body parts shop
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Robotic surgery grows more popular in Bulgaria   

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1