View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
beautifulangel
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: trying blog writing   Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:16 pm

First topic message reminder :

My family keep telling me I should write a book because I have a good imagination. But personnally I think i'm too lazy. So I figured I'd try this and then I'll find out if i'm lazy and everyone else can tell me if its any good.
So the story begins.

Esra couldn't remember a time when she hadn't spent all her time surrounded by horses, cleaning tack, mucking out, feeding, grooming. She let out a big sigh."
God my life's soooo boring,"
she said to no one in particular. Turning towards her her bedroom window she stared unseeing at the scene below. Horses heads nodded over their doors. The yards collection of non discript dogs rooted around in the mud looking for titbits. Children excitedly led their ponies towards the large building in the corner which was the indoor school ,ready for their lessons. Esra thought frustratedly that she just wanted something to happen. Anything! She wanted to be glamorous, tall , blonde. Like one of the showjumpers on Jacks yard up the road. They drove up in their smart sports cars and shiney 4x4's at all times of the day and night. Swishing their uniform long blonde hair, in tight fitting jodpurs or designer mini dresses, with endless long legs in sky high stilleto heels. Totally unsuitable;
but they looked amazing. Turning slowly towards the dirty cracked mirror on the wall, Esra inspected the figure within. In her head she imagined she was also tall, thin and exciting looking. Unfortunately in reality she was small, almost elf like;
with masses of long black curls, which tumbled down her back in disarray. She had large green eyes which dominated her face and a slightly too large mouth. All inherited from her romany grandmother;
as was riding and need for excitement.
Esra had worked at Sky equestrian center since her fifteenth birthday, when her family had decided she should either marry her cousin joe or step out on her own. The pain of being rejected by her family still stung, but the relief of life without the lanky, bullish and slightly creepy thing that was cousin joe won out every time. Shrugging her shoulders Esra determindly picked up her old green barbour jacket and sqaushed her feet into the battered old riding boots which had laid forlornly on the bedroom floor."
I'd better get outside before Joan goes mental."
she said to herself. Joan was the owner of Sky. She was a large agressive woman, with short manly cropped red hair. Her clothes strained in every direction when she moved and her strident voice carried for miles as she screeched insults and instructions at her poor unfortunated staff.

Well thats my opening. All advise gratefully recieved. By the way I can't spell so expect mistakes till I work out how to use the spell check. s

AuthorMessage
silky4015
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: trying blog writing   Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:44 pm

Hi oldun, no need to apologies, Lots of people don’t realise that an editor is very much like a Captain of a ship. He organizes everything to run smooth and makes the final decision.

Writing is a craft like any other;
you need to know what your tools are available to you and how to use those tools.

After my book was published, about the funny incidents I got myself into while in the Army. My doctor purchased a copy and later said to me, “I do a lot of reading and I’ve been thinking of writing a book.” I told him I’d read a few medical books and was thinking of becoming a brain surgeon. He looked at me funny and left it at that. On my next annual visit, he stated that writing a book was not as easy as he thought. I got him to join our local writing group. He still hasn’t written his book, but his creative writing has improved.

A creative writing course is a good idea and joining your local writing group is a must. Group members will bend over backwards to help you and show you how to format you MS. Once you have written your story and you contact a publishing house, the odds are they will not want to see your full MS. They will most likely ask for a synopsis and three chapters. A synopsis is also hard to do. What they are after is your full 80-100 word story cut down to 500 words telling them about you characters and how they come together in the story.

I learnt the hard way with rejection after rejection and now I try to teach other not to go down the same pathway that I did. I’m now aged 72 and this year I joined the creative writing course at Hull Uni and last month I received my certificate for the foundation course, only another 4 years to go for my degree.

Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: trying blog writing   Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:28 pm

:Thank you:Wow what a brilliant reply Silky. It just shows how forums can be useful. Good luck with the degree course. I guessed you knew what you were talking about. I did a postal writing course but didn't finish it because I am lazy and if something can't be done quickly I give up! Actually my tutor did think I would one day write a book based on my life experiences and manuscripts I submitted. He was probably disappointed in me as were my school teachers. Never reached my potential although all 3 of my children have!
Having said that, I have had pieces published in magazines and newspapers and noticed that not much editting was done. I guess I should have gone into journalism which has always fascinated me and I did become an editor's secretary at one point in my life which was the most interesting work I ever did. Learnt a lot! I am 71 and I still keep thinking I should try that book and I try to analyze author's writing but, as I said - I think I am lazy and not too sure anyone would really be interested because I might be too subjective. Maybe a creative writing course would be good but I doubt there is such a thing here in Bulgaria but someone may tell me different.
Back to top Go down
silky4015
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: trying blog writing   Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:58 pm

The thing with writing is to do one hour at a time and keep to that time each day, no matter if you’re writing or editing.

This week I’ve been going back through a store which I’ve left for three months, so that I can look at it with a fresh mind. I finished up editing nearly 2,000 words out of the story.

Yes writing is hard work.

If you (oldun or anyone else) would like a second opinion of one of your stories PM me.
Back to top Go down
oddball

PostSubject: Re: trying blog writing   Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:30 pm

:Clap:Very good beautifulangle keep going.

Oddy s

beautifulangel
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: trying blog writing   Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:17 am

Thanks for the encouragement everyone and thankyou silky for the advise. When i have some spare time from building our riding school i'll look into doing a course on writing. I'm not sure that i do want to get published i just like to write so keep getting told i should persue it. I would appreciate your honest opinion, with training do i have enough potential to pursue it or should i stick as i am? thanks s

sallyann
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: trying blog writing   Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:54 am

Good luck to you with whatever you do.
Back to top Go down
davshaz
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: trying blog writing   Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:40 pm

Hows it going have you started anything yet?
Back to top Go down
beautifulangel
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: trying blog writing   Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:04 am

No i have to be honest and say I haven't. Ive been some what distracted by trying to get electric and plumbing installed and chopping wood. We were less than organised arriving in bulgaria at the end of october, so all i've done is play catch up. I thought i'd start with a short story first to practice. so i'll post it soon. Angel

cheekychops
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: trying blog writing   Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:26 pm

Can't wait to read it.
Back to top Go down
silky4015
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: trying blog writing   Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:38 pm

Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but I’m sure the MOD will move if it needs be moved.

Hi folks I have open a new group at: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Anyone wishing to learn about the art of writing short stories or poems is welcome to join and I will try to teach you.

John
Back to top Go down
beautifulangel
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: trying blog writing   Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:36 am

sounds great, i'll have a look as soon as the computer decides to let me open your page.

LisA
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: trying blog writing   Sat May 26, 2012 1:29 pm

Have you started writting yet?
Back to top Go down
silky4015
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: trying blog writing   Sat May 26, 2012 7:59 pm

lisA, who is your remark aimed at?
Back to top Go down
LisA
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: trying blog writing   Sun May 27, 2012 12:49 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
lisA, who is your remark aimed at?

Sorry it was aimed at beautifulangel
Back to top Go down
beautifulangel
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: trying blog writing   Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:07 pm

hiya yes i have finished a short story but i'm having uploading problems thanks to my lovely mtel dongle which switches its self off after two minutes. I'll post it as soon as mtel fix the problem. Angel

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: trying blog writing   

Back to top Go down

trying blog writing

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next