Share | 

Bulgaria ranks third in global internet speed survey

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Admin
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Bulgaria ranks third in global internet speed survey   Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:53 pm

First topic message reminder :

[size=55:30ds0mwx]Dnevnik

Download speeds in Bulgaria were among the fastest in the world, behind only South Korea and Romania, according to research by on-line content delivery company Pando Networks.

Average speed in South Korea was 2202KBps, followed by 1909KBps in Romania and 1611KBps in Bulgaria. The top ten is rounded up by Lithuania, Latvia, Japan, Sweden, Ukraine, Denmark and Hong Kong.

US scored 26th in the survey, at 606KBps, just above the global average of 580KBps, according to the survey.

The slowest download speeds in the world were in Congo at 3KBps, Central African Republic (14KBps) and the Comorro islands (23KBps).

Although Bulgaria routinely scores low in European Union broadband usage reports, that is because such studies do not include high-speed local-area network (LAN) solutions, which are the main source of high-speed internet in the country.

Admin
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Back to top Go down
http://www.ourbulgariaforum.com

AuthorMessage
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: Bulgaria ranks third in global internet speed survey   Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:58 am

bgbazz wrote:
I use N3 in Plovdiv and usually experience around 1mps for downloads. Here in the village we are on the end of a cable system which services a number of other villages on the way and our speed is rarely less than 2mps. My wifes work requires very large file up and downloads, often many times during the course of the day and at 23 leva per month with no limits on usage, we find it suits us just fine.

Our service rarely goes over 9 kbs and often sits there showing 0bs for minutes before remembering that it is supposed to be doing something. Very disappointed with the internet service here in BG, we are in an internet world now and and it is time BG caught up with the rest of Europe. It is clear that towns have a good service with phone lines, but villages like ours are really an after thought in some places here with the internet providers with phone lines. Our village has phone lines but no connection to the exchange, so the phone lines are there but doing nothing. We can't use Skype because the dongle won't support it, even if we don't put the camera on. So come one BG, get yourself into gear and give us a good service.

Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: Bulgaria ranks third in global internet speed survey   Thu May 23, 2013 7:10 pm

Do us people who live in villages really have to put up with the insanely slow speed of the internet purely because we live in a village. Is there really no alternative to the pathetic service that people like Vivacom provide. I have spoken to Vivacom's staff in their VT branch on two occasions and have also dialled 123 and spoken to the help service and they said speak to the office and the office say speak to the help service on 123.

So in the end no one wants to help and nobody is prepared to help, this is the sort of attitude that has developed in the UK over the years, maybe they have had lessons from the British.

Sorry, rant over.
Back to top Go down
justbazz1

PostSubject: Re: Bulgaria ranks third in global internet speed survey   Thu May 23, 2013 7:24 pm

Read your post two minutes ago Eric, checked my speed at 65mps which is quite slow for this district. Our man upgraded his system a couple of weeks ago and promised much higher..bit peeved!!
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: Bulgaria ranks third in global internet speed survey   Thu May 23, 2013 7:30 pm

bgbazz wrote:
Read your post two minutes ago Eric, checked my speed at 65mps which is quite slow for this district.

65 mps eh? Lucky if I get 10 kbs, mostly 3 kbs and 0 kbs. !?!?!?!?! our dongle permanently has a red light on when it should be green. I have been trying for 10 mins to open your last email and come off in frustration with it all. I will go back and try again now!!

Back to top Go down
justbazz1

PostSubject: Re: Bulgaria ranks third in global internet speed survey   Thu May 23, 2013 7:35 pm

Not trying to be a smartass, but I can answer you before you take your finger off the key!!
Back to top Go down
Phil-H
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Bulgaria ranks third in global internet speed survey   Thu May 23, 2013 11:02 pm

Well I started reading the first post then spotted the date, but even then thought that can't be right, now after skipping most of the thread I see I was probably right, but although as can be seen from my speed below and I am only on what it now a moderate speed here in the UKstill far outweighs that of BG.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Bulgaria ranks third in global internet speed survey   Sun May 26, 2013 2:41 pm

Our village has finally gone online with M-Tel (fibre optic) and so far very fast. I have been reliably told that it is as fast as UK, however it probably depends where you live as everything does in Bulgaria!
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Bulgaria ranks third in global internet speed survey   Sun May 26, 2013 2:54 pm

Having just read back on this thread I am amazed that there are expectations of high speed internet in villages! Any idea of the logistics of getting it to some far-flung places especially with mountains around. Knowing nothing techie about providing it I was so happy that we could get dial-up back in 2004 with the help of Vali computers in VT who came and spent a whole evening setting me up. Then we were approached by a man who provided us for the last few years but unfortunately his service became very erratic and slow. No idea why and he always did his best to get me back online. I was loathe to change but gave in when all the villagers were raving about M-Tel and in frustration went into their office in VT and signed up. Don't think my man was bothered - maybe he had had enough of being a provider. Now very satisfied thank you. I think that for such a backward and poor country Bulgaria has moved very fast as far as internet goes and satellite TV. Bulgaria is not Britain.
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: Bulgaria ranks third in global internet speed survey   Sun May 26, 2013 7:31 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Having just read back on this thread I am amazed that there are expectations of high speed internet in villages! Any idea of the logistics of getting it to some far-flung places especially with mountains around. Knowing nothing techie about providing it I was so happy that we could get dial-up back in 2004 with the help of Vali computers in VT who came and spent a whole evening setting me up. Then we were approached by a man who provided us for the last few years but unfortunately his service became very erratic and slow. No idea why and he always did his best to get me back online. I was loathe to change but gave in when all the villagers were raving about M-Tel and in frustration went into their office in VT and signed up. Don't think my man was bothered - maybe he had had enough of being a provider. Now very satisfied thank you. I think that for such a backward and poor country Bulgaria has moved very fast as far as internet goes and satellite TV. Bulgaria is not Britain.

I don't believe that any us expect high speeds oldun - any speed above 5kbs would be sufficient. In the case of our internet reception it is 1.4kbs, then 2.8kbs and then 0kbs and back to 1.4kbs. We cannot use Skype, we cannot open up pictures, some of the time we cannot open our emails and finally we cannot send a PM message on this Forum. So a very poor service from a country that boasts the 3rd fastest global speed. Fast . . . I think not!!! We pay the same price as anyone in a town who is receiving speeds of 124kbs, so in my opinion we should have a sizeable discount for the rubbish service that we have to endure. Rant over!!!

Back to top Go down
justbazz1

PostSubject: Re: Bulgaria ranks third in global internet speed survey   Tue May 28, 2013 4:30 pm

After reading the frequent comments regarding problems with speeds, connections and service (or lack thereof) being experienced by some of you, I got to wondering. How many folk actually have a close relationship with the local mayor and how many of you have brought up this subject with him..I mean on a very regular basis? The old squeeky wheel thing.

Some years ago, before I got a reliable and ultra fast service, I heard, just by chance, that our mayor had just been hooked up, so off we went and confronted him. He gave us all the details needed to get connected, but surprised us by saying that he thought he was the only one in the village with a computer and a mobile phone, so had not bothered to spread the word! We took over the spreading of glad tidings from him and right now I would guess that half the village is connected..one of the little bars even provides a free wifi service to the customers. Globul came out and put some extra dish thingies on the tower and now we have it all! I was totally sick of hanging the dongle at the top of a pole on my roof, but that's all in the past now.

This is just a thought, nothing more, nothing less, but it can't hurt to try. Get on his doorstep and make a gentle fuss..you may get a pleasant surprise, as a mayor is not without a bit of clout.
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Bulgaria ranks third in global internet speed survey   Tue May 28, 2013 4:39 pm

:Good post:bgbazz. As our village is a real communtiy that is exactly what happened. As everyone gradually became tired of the on/off situation and slow speed from our provider, the village got a list of people wanting faster internet and M-Tel came up trumps and now we have all changed over. Very happy village.
Back to top Go down
justbazz1

PostSubject: Re: Bulgaria ranks third in global internet speed survey   Tue May 28, 2013 4:47 pm

Thanks 'kindred spirit'..that is exactly what I was alluding to. Moaning and bitching amongst ourselves will achieve nothing..positive action is what is needed.
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: Bulgaria ranks third in global internet speed survey   Tue May 28, 2013 6:31 pm

bgbazz wrote:
After reading the frequent comments regarding problems with speeds, connections and service (or lack thereof) being experienced by some of you, I got to wondering. How many folk actually have a close relationship with the local mayor and how many of you have brought up this subject with him..I mean on a very regular basis? The old squeeky wheel thing.

Some years ago, before I got a reliable and ultra fast service, I heard, just by chance, that our mayor had just been hooked up, so off we went and confronted him. He gave us all the details needed to get connected, but surprised us by saying that he thought he was the only one in the village with a computer and a mobile phone, so had not bothered to spread the word! We took over the spreading of glad tidings from him and right now I would guess that half the village is connected..one of the little bars even provides a free wifi service to the customers. Globul came out and put some extra dish thingies on the tower and now we have it all! I was totally sick of hanging the dongle at the top of a pole on my roof, but that's all in the past now.

This is just a thought, nothing more, nothing less, but it can't hurt to try. Get on his doorstep and make a gentle fuss..you may get a pleasant surprise, as a mayor is not without a bit of clout.

We have approached our mayor and he is actively in conference with Vestel to get another mast put in our village. The bottom half of the village are fine, but all of us at the top get poor reception form another provider. So we hope in a few weeks that aomething will come of it all and another mast is installed to connect us six British families who are currently facing a famine of speed for the internet.
Back to top Go down
justbazz1

PostSubject: Re: Bulgaria ranks third in global internet speed survey   Tue May 28, 2013 7:11 pm

Exactly what I was saying Eric..get the mayor involved!!
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: Bulgaria ranks third in global internet speed survey   Thu May 30, 2013 6:39 pm

bgbazz wrote:
Exactly what I was saying Eric..get the mayor involved!!

Yes bazz, we have a good mayor and something will be sorted, but not looking for anything immediate.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bulgaria ranks third in global internet speed survey   

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next