View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Commitment to your village?   Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:55 pm

First topic message reminder :

Having just started the topic about the upcoming Mayor elections and been the only Brit in attendance, I would like to ask how committed others are to their village? Are you just happy to have a home in the village but have no interest in what goes on there? I don't mean to be too controversial here, but it does appear to me from the Brits in my village that they never seem to have any input whatsoever and conversely, resent my (and my partner's) constant presence and involvement in anything that goes on. I feel we could all get involved just as life used to be in English villages. Maybe I am unusual, but I feel so happy with my life and acceptance in our village that I like to give as much as I can back in some way. It doesn't have to involve money, but just showing an interest in all that goes on and learning about everything Bulgarian. I have invited Brits to come to one of our choir rehearsels and even if they don't want to sing, the ladies always welcome visitors. None have ever come and seem to think that I am trying to take charge of them and have actually said that if I am involved they won't help. Nothing could be further from the truth but it seems there is no resolution. Such a pity.
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Commitment to your village?   Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Fantastic EllieMay H

[size=150:35abyxg2]Now who else would like to join in :: Even just to help one family. Come on you know you want to share H H

Oddy H

Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Commitment to your village?   Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:26 pm

I have to say that our village has few really poor families. However, we do give a basket of goodies to one single parent family plus any clothes which we no longer need go to the shepherds who have very little. My man, who goes out more than me, helps those in need too any time of the year when its necessary. We do have to be careful of people's pride too. For instance, there is one young man who has hardly anything since his Mother died. Even his house is even less than basic but he is so cheerful. We gave him some clothes which an English lady had given us when her husband died hoping we could give them to someone deserving. Well, first of all the young guy declined the shoes and trousers but when the really cold weather arrived he started to wear them. He looked great and he knew it. Obviously, being in his 20s he still had plenty of pride left!
I also give a selection of sweets to the lady who organises the children's Christmas party. Each child receives a bag of presents from Father Christmas who arrives in his horse and cart. I give a small financial donation too and leave it to the Community to decide what to buy. I never try to inflict my British choices onto the villagers.
Back to top Go down
cherifa
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: Commitment to your village?   Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:35 am

There are actually a lot Brits involved in their village's life they go to meetings (even if they don't understand much) and go to events etc.

I sing for 6 years in our theater and speak the language very good (that's what the Bulgarians say anyway), we go to all the meetings and I defend our village interests fighting with everyone who in my mind is not doing what is good for our village.
For the elections, I'm always the one who speak up for or against a candidate and helped the last to get elected and now I'm his adviser and helper.
We organize parties and my husband cook for our gatherings for holidays. We had a typical Bulgarian wedding like it used to be 100y ago, from a to z, even the cooking and the whole village came ate and danced in the center where we set the tables.
With my girls we always gather on Wednesday rehearsals or not, just to get together and talk about currents event in our village or in the country.
We're always singing and dancing and make jokes, we play shows for our village and my husband is always part or it.
We always invite the Brits from our village and they love it.

Life is so good in Voynika

Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Commitment to your village?   Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:47 am

:Good post:Great Cherifa and I only wish the Brits in our village would join in more.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Commitment to your village?   

Back to top Go down

Commitment to your village?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2