View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Traveling from Bulgaria   Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:07 am

First topic message reminder :

A new topic. It would be intresting to find out members views as to why so many people are leaving Bulgaria,
it can't be to seek a better life, or can it ???

On a recent trip the Wizzair flight to Bourgas had approx 25 empty seats, on the return flight four day's later it was full, does that indicate that more and more are leaving Bulgaria than staying. I am sure they were not leaving because they read about the pending weather forcast :C:
Let's have some positive input with news and views T
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Traveling from Bulgaria   Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:14 am

I, too, totally agree with Carmen about all the hype Bulgaria received. Some canny Brits probably did buy, sell and leave very quickly and would have made a profit, but not many. Such are the perils of the investment game. There are high, medium and low risk investments. I would guess that property for quite a while was classed as low to medium risk. However, due to the world recession it is now high risk and many are finding it too late to make a profit or even get their money back.
These folks are not failures as such but just unfortunate. Probably they thought if they hung on the market in property would pick up. It didn't and is still going downwards. No man in the street could have forseen this.
However, the reasons for so many leaving is probably more complex as has been stated and personally, I think that for most it is the inability to get to grips with the language and culture. Relying totally on an expat population for a social life is probably not the answer long term when personalities don't gell. No-one has any history and some even invent a whole history to be what they wish to be and not what they are. Gossip and jealousies arouse and can be very distressing which has been covered by some on this forum. It takes great strength of will, such as Willowsend has after his bad experiences, to actually stay. There comes a time when enough is enough and many then decide to go back to their roots.
I hate to criticize Bulgaria but it does seem to me that not enough has been done to encourage foreigners to invest and some of the bureaucracy appears designed to deter rather than encourage. Even after 20 years of Capitalism much of the country is still living in the past which discourages any of the forward thinking that British people are used to. Its a shame that people are giving up on their dream but at least they can say they tried and have had a great experience. I just hope that a return to Britain is the answer to what they are looking for. It might be very difficult to settle after being in Bulgaria for a few years.
Back to top Go down
davshaz
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Traveling from Bulgaria   Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:07 pm

Brilliant once again oldun I do love how you write and your so passionate about everything which brings it home thank you and the other posters too this is a great topic.
Back to top Go down
dave b
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: Traveling from Bulgaria   Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:45 am

Good article again, When we I came out we knew we would have a little pension to fall back on, I expected it to be like a frontier land, which is was and still is,
We had a good exchange rate for the first two years when we were building too. I had no intention of ever returning to the UK, whatever happened here. I have just turned 65 and will have my own pension soon.which makes us pretty secure, (properly impossible to live on in the UK.) But we never came to make money. We only bought and rebuilt some property because we were terrified of leaving what money we had left in the banks in case it disappeared. We have made loads of mistakes like others, but we planned as best we could for the future and never stopped working on the land and buildings. I think the world has changed a lot for all of Europe,and is still not looking good. I still think we are doing OK compared to the poor people who lost a lot more when the banks went down in the States and in Europe. Being stubborn helps of course ;
)
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Traveling from Bulgaria   Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:40 pm

:Thank you:Davshaz you have really cheered me up today with your kind words. I guess I do get passionate about things which sometimes gets me into trouble. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Dave - you are obviously just as stubborn as I am and it will take a lot to make me leave in spite of how things have changed worldwide. I believe too, that Bulgaria is the best bet at the moment although if the euro collapses what will happen then as the leva is pegged to it? I daren't think.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Traveling from Bulgaria   

Back to top Go down

Traveling from Bulgaria

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3