View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
hoseman
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: HOW ARE BOOKINGS THIS YEAR?   Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:51 pm

First topic message reminder :

We have been letting our seaside apartment near Varna for the past six years (for short holiday lets) and this year is noticeably slower to get off the ground than any previous year. We are doing the same marketing as before, charging much the same prices (reduced them 2 years ago), and have first-class reviews from previous renters. Early days yet, but this is not looking very promising from where I am sitting! How are others finding things ?
Back to top Go down
http://www.beachfront-apartment.co.uk

AuthorMessage
Andy
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: HOW ARE BOOKINGS THIS YEAR?   Tue May 29, 2012 3:02 pm

I don't think the euro is to blame but Bulgaria itself I'm afraid they seem to have missed the boat and its going to be gone for a while I fear.
Back to top Go down
hoseman
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: HOW ARE BOOKINGS THIS YEAR?   Tue May 29, 2012 5:12 pm

Ah! but did you see the Guardian's great big ad for the Barcelo Royale development in Sunny Beach last weekend? That will pull them in! (lol)
Back to top Go down
kranevochick

PostSubject: Re: HOW ARE BOOKINGS THIS YEAR?   Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:17 pm

We have no booking this year so far, going to put a pile of posters up at work tomorrow for a bit of a drive. Had three enquiries which I have had to pass on as they are the two weeks we are visiting. Lots of people at work are looking to book last minute and hope for a bargin, a lot want All inclusive. s
Any ideas of good websites to advertise on please let me know
Back to top Go down
hoseman
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: HOW ARE BOOKINGS THIS YEAR?   Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:40 am

Good luck with that push, Kranevochick! Lots of people seem to be reluctant to do anything active to boost their bookings once they have put their properties on websites.
This year many more Russians are making enquiries. Suggestion: type in to Google Translate something like "
holiday apartment to rent Bulgaria seaside "
select Russian for the output box, copy and paste the result into your search engine and see which websites come up. Go for one near the top.
Unfortunately due to SEO activity by all the big websites, the ranking can vary through the year, but it is a guide.
g
Back to top Go down
kranevochick

PostSubject: Re: HOW ARE BOOKINGS THIS YEAR?   Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:26 pm

Thanks will ask my friendly Russian to check my transalation as well :)
Back to top Go down
Blink
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: HOW ARE BOOKINGS THIS YEAR?   Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:15 am

I'm sure anything you try is going to be helpful so I think any ideas to help are always appreciated and I also think your right people just do not do enough when they need to get their property rented out.
Back to top Go down
hoseman
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: HOW ARE BOOKINGS THIS YEAR?   Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:50 pm

Just wanted to add a rant / tale of woe:
Got an enquiry from a French person who phoned me at 10:30pm and I was struggling to understand him, but we managed to agree that he would have a discounted price for 9 days peak season. After another phone call to ask a few questions, he promised to pay in the next 3 days, but didn't. No replies to my emails, so when another persona came along all ready to go, and with no discount asked for, I cancelled the first guy's booking and sent payment details to the 2nd guy.
The next day the first guy rings me again and says he only just got my email and asked what was going on;
I explained that he had failed to pay and so I had offered the booking to another. He wasn't very happy, but I apologised that I had no idea that he still wanted to proceed.
Then after another 3 days the second guy emails me to say his girlfriend can't get the time off work, so they aren't going after all!!!
So it's not just Russians who take the mickey. Never used to be like this!
Back to top Go down
starlite
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: HOW ARE BOOKINGS THIS YEAR?   Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:09 pm

had many of this type of unconditional bookings, having worked in the hotel and holiday flat lettings buisness, many phone call bookings often end in no result, the cheque is in the post the most obvious excuse, or a deposit made by card only to change there minds and want the deposit back even though you have refused bookings based on the fact that the room is already booked. arhhhhhhhh so frustrating. :Headbang:but the client cannot see what the problem is.
Back to top Go down
oddball

PostSubject: Re: HOW ARE BOOKINGS THIS YEAR?   Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:37 pm

I think they make it too easy for people to book rooms, then the guests do not bother to turn up - There is no feedback ast hey do not seem to secure a deposit. I recently book 2 rooms through booking.com and they take a card details as deposit but if you cancel you will be charged £15 which I assume goes to the hotel. This is a good clause at least the hotel gets a cancellation charge. g

hoseman
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: HOW ARE BOOKINGS THIS YEAR?   Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:55 am

Mmm... this makes me think: instead of charging a 25% deposit to secure the booking, maybe we should charge a small amount like £15 or £20 as a non-refundable reservation fee, with the balance payable sooner than 5 weeks before arrival. I haven't seen it done elsewhere for private lets, but that doesn't mean to say it's not a good idea.
I wish there was some way that owners could submit reviews of people who made a reservation and then didn't follow it through;
unfortunately that would mean giving the enquirers the right of reply, and I can see it becoming a bit of a slanging match in many cases;
there were similar problems on eBay about feedback in general, which haven't really been resolved even now: everyone wants the last word!

Thanks guys!
Back to top Go down
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: HOW ARE BOOKINGS THIS YEAR?   Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:26 am

hoseman wrote:
Mmm... this makes me think: instead of charging a 25% deposit to secure the booking, maybe we should charge a small amount like £15 or £20 as a non-refundable reservation fee, with the balance payable sooner than 5 weeks before arrival. I haven't seen it done elsewhere for private lets, but that doesn't mean to say it's not a good idea.
I wish there was some way that owners could submit reviews of people who made a reservation and then didn't follow it through;
unfortunately that would mean giving the enquirers the right of reply, and I can see it becoming a bit of a slanging match in many cases;
there were similar problems on eBay about feedback in general, which haven't really been resolved even now: everyone wants the last word!

Thanks guys!

Maybe good to put into your 'Terms and Conditions' that all amounts paid by way of deposits are 'Non refundable or Transferable' and make sure that these words are embedded in any correspondence by way of a header or footer.

Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: HOW ARE BOOKINGS THIS YEAR?   Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:27 pm

Tony, our T's &
C's say more or less that, but because we don't want to put genuine people off, it is couched in rather less blunt terms;
basically we reserve the right to keep the deposit, but will do our best to avoid this if we can re-book at least some of the cancelled days.

Having said that, I am not convinced that anybody actually reads the terms and conditions! We regularly get enquiries from people who think we operate some kind of hotel, and those who haven't even read the basic stuff like how many it sleeps!

Oooh my head!
Back to top Go down
hoseman
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: HOW ARE BOOKINGS THIS YEAR?   Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:18 pm

Well another year has flown by...
This year we slashed prices again, but most of our bookings have been repeat business. Of the newcomers, three weeks have been booked at the last minute ( within 2 days of arrival) so we had to be flexible about payment on arrival with no prior deposit. This would have been unthinkable 5 years ago!
Anyway we are now fully booked through July and August, with barely time to change the bed linen between guests.
It's been a bit of a cliffhanger, but hey! - we are surviving!
g
Back to top Go down
oddball

PostSubject: Re: HOW ARE BOOKINGS THIS YEAR?   Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:14 pm

hoseman wrote:
Well another year has flown by...
This year we slashed prices again, but most of our bookings have been repeat business. Of the newcomers, three weeks have been booked at the last minute ( within 2 days of arrival) so we had to be flexible about payment on arrival with no prior deposit. This would have been unthinkable 5 years ago!
Anyway we are now fully booked through July and August, with barely time to change the bed linen between guests.
It's been a bit of a cliffhanger, but hey! - we are surviving!
g

:: Truly delighted for you hoseman g Good to get positive news

hoseman
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: HOW ARE BOOKINGS THIS YEAR?   Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:52 pm

[size=150:xxtl84b1]Thank you lovely people!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HOW ARE BOOKINGS THIS YEAR?   

Back to top Go down

HOW ARE BOOKINGS THIS YEAR?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next