View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
scott
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: What do you mis from the uk ???   Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:41 pm

First topic message reminder :

I've been thinking about when I make the final plunge and what will I mis from the UK that can't be got in Bulgaria and since I don't live there yet I thought I would ask those of you who do so what is it you mis from Blighty
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Bigdog
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: What do you mis from the uk ???   Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:02 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I think for me its Screwfix direct lol.

I think you will find just about everything they do available here, although you will have to collect as BG has not yet got the hang of 'Next Day' delivery on a reliable basis.
Back to top Go down
oddball

PostSubject: What do you mis from the uk ???   Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:51 pm

Agree with Bigdog - as there is nothing that we cannot find in Silistra Someone know where it can be found, amazing eh!!

Oddy

PostSubject: What do you mis from the uk ???   Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:35 am

I do agree, now i know where the shops are i have found almost everything i wanted. It is the next day delivery aspect that i miss. But hay, this is Bulgaria, life's lead a little slower
Back to top Go down
Daisy
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: What do you mis from the UK ???   Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:08 pm

Its been sometime now since this thread was live so I thought I would kick it off again and ask others what they mis if anything from the UK especially those of you have have only been in BG for say 3 months plus s
Back to top Go down
oddball

PostSubject: Re: What do you mis from the uk ???   Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:44 pm

Fab Daisy thanks. We have some friends near Varna and they have been in BG for 4 years now and although they love it there and can get pretty much everything they want, the only thing they miss is Heinz tomato sauce and our other friends digestive biscuits.

Oddy s

PostSubject: Re: What do you mis from the uk ???   Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:45 pm

nothing
Back to top Go down
kayakbulgaria

PostSubject: Re: What do you mis from the uk ???   Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:46 pm

or just the "
s"
on the end of miss
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: What do you mis from the uk ???   Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:20 pm

On the subject of newspapers - you can subscribe to the World Telegraph and it will be delivered weekly to your home. Never use gravy granules because you can make your own as granny did using the meat juices from a roast. Heinz tomato sauce is available in CBA supermarket although some Bulgarian ones taste very much the same and at half the cost. Similarly baked beans or make your own. Digestive biscuits available in CBA in VT and I can't believe they aren't available in Varna with so many tourists!
I agree with Johnbaz that there are ample takeaways in Bulgaria everywhere. Pies, buns, pizzas, doners, chips etc etc.besides the supermarket's delicatessens. Just slightly different flavours maybe, but you get used to the difference. HP sauce also available but will admit to bringing back a really strong Welsh Cheddar cheese on my annual visit to family. The white cyrene cheeses make a wonderful cheese sauce. I wouldn't pay the price of British products here in Bulgaria because there is plenty to cook here and its something to enjoy doing in the winter months. Sorry to those of you who can't live without certain products, I think you will find life difficult here unless you are not on a tight budget.
As for missing conversations with other Brits, I would think that's a plus. If you are really so boring that you can't mix with the Bulgarians and their culture, then there are ample table-tops, quiz nights, games evenings etc etc if that's what floats your boat, all over Bulgaria. Expat living is now alive and well.
Do I miss things in Britain, NO, but I have lived abroad for over 20 years ( 6 of them in Bulgaria) and have learned how to adapt.
Back to top Go down
Timerman
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: What do you mis from the uk ???   Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:01 pm

What do I miss about the UK ????????

Apart from Proper Bacon lol I miss nothing, I have English tea bags posted over each month, Billa's clever range of Coffee is ok and cheap as well

I love tinned tomatoes and will admit to bringing a boat load over with me :Angel2:but after I was given a load of tomatoes off a neighbour I peeled them, boiled them pureed them in fact just about anything you can imagine and put them in the freezer lol

The boiled tomatoes are even better than tinned, no salt, sugar or preservatives added and I now realise that the tinned tomatoes were not necessary

I aint seen HP sauce anywhere but I can live without that its only the finely cut bulgarian bacon I cant come to terms with, if its cut any thinner it would be transparent

I've been here since March with the exception of 3 weeks in June and I love the place, fantastic neighbours, and the bread is just out of this world especially if I'm early enough to grab an uncut loaf

As for the UK ???? Where is that again ????? Did I really live there for 49 years Lol

Davey

Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: What do you mis from the uk ???   Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:11 am

Mentioning bacon - Have you tried the bacon which is cut from a joint in the salami section of supermarkets? Or the Italian style packets of bacon which costs a fortune in Britain and is really cheap here? Pancetta I think we call it. You can also get blocks of what the Bulgarians call bacon, but I don't recommend that because its really that mixed up ham but okay for quiches etc. Our local shop also sells sliced smoked bacon in packets which is cheap and very tasty if you like a smokey flavour. All of it is wonderful and none leaves that gooey sticky salty stuff in the bottom of the pan. I haven't a clue why the sliced stuff you talk of Davey, is so expensive, but look for the 'specials' area of the chill cabinets for that pancetta and buy a few packets when you see it because it comes and goes!!!
Back to top Go down
kayakbulgaria

PostSubject: Re: What do you mis from the uk ???   Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:42 pm

HP suace is in Metro supermarket but you will pay top money for it.
Still missing the rain everyday to fill the rivers for better kayaking, lets all to the rain gods.
Regards all
Steve and Bogdana
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What do you mis from the uk ???   Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:00 pm

How about missing the Uk in it's entirety?

B. Rgds., George.
Back to top Go down
kayakbulgaria

PostSubject: Re: What do you mis from the uk ???   Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:17 pm

ha ha you must be joking surely !
Sorry I dont buy english goods anymore, as I dont support the "
new world order"

Regards
Steve
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: What do you mis from the uk ???   Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:09 am

Well done you Kayakbulgaria but sorry about no rain here. Were you around in June/July? Plenty of thunderstorms around then to fill the rivers and streams. Very unusual though so you will have to kayak out of season methinks for the best sport!
Although I miss nothing from UK while living here, I am looking forward to my family visit end of October. I still love England and enjoy all the shopping while I am there. I am a reverse tourist now and will also be spoilt by my family who will see I get my annual dose of fish and chips from the nearest Chippy and a take-away Indian or Chinese. :Very funny 2:Life's too short to spend time missing things.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What do you mis from the uk ???   Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:22 am

No, not joking. I have been an expat for around 30 years and I miss what I envisage as the UK. This image I have may be out of date, but there you go. As you get older you will find the "
old country"
drags you back wherever you may come from.

@kayakbulgaria wrote:
ha ha you must be joking surely !
Sorry I dont buy english goods anymore, as I dont support the "
new world order"

Regards
Steve
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do you mis from the uk ???   

Back to top Go down

What do you mis from the uk ???

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Life in Bulgaria-