View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Itchyfeet's Blog   Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:52 am

First topic message reminder :

I haven't tried Blog Writing before, but have put our first reflections of living in Bulgaria down in print so that we can look at them in a few years time:

Our last pieces of furniture from our home in Turkey finally turned up here in Bulgaria this past week and our two leather sofas that we bought off of Ebay many weeks ago are being collected from the UK to come here in the next few days.  This will complete our inventory of things much needed for sustaining life here in this former Communist country.  Whilst this is going on some of our wood has also arrived and is pilled up just inside our gate, these come in metre lengths but have to be cut up to useful sizes in readiness for putting on our wood burner in the coming Winter.  This means that I have to cut them up with the newly acquired Chain Saw in the coming weeks before another great load turn up to be cut up, we expect to use somewhere in the region of 15 cubic metres of wood to stave off the cold.  Thermal clothes are in abundance in our wardrobes and are being held in readiness for the Winter to come.    So as you can see this is an action packed Ranch style homestead that we are currently living in.   Our massive gate which keeps unwanted intruders from our property has wooden staves rather like "
South Fork"
and we need a lot of strength to get them open.

Our life here has changed from being Townies to "
The Darling Buds of May"
- I have been fortunate in securing my own Katherine Zeeta Jones in the personage of Annette and she has shown that our own Zeeta is up to the mark and has even outshone the real one in many ways.  On the other hand of course I can't help but feel that I have been short changed from some of the exciting and exhilarating things of the real one, but I am not complaining!!   Must remember to go to Specsavers when I am next in the UK.

The house seems to be full of furniture, nick knacks and most things and there is still boxes and bags to unpack, goodness knows where they will all go.  We moved out from an apartment in Turkey to this big house of 200 square metres and we still need more room, strange, but it appears to be the case.   The dogs are happy and spend most of their time smiling and looking at us and commanding attention with nuzzling our legs and arms until we put our hand out and stroke them.  Ayla is due for her clipping of her coat tomorrow, she looks more like a sheep wandering around the field as her coat seems to have grown even more than last year and so to keep her comfortable and cool it all has to come off.

It is in to Veliko Tarnovo tomorrow to get an air conditioner apart from other things, temperatures here seem to be higher than Turkey and come July and August it will be impossible to sleep without something to keep us cool.   The grass and weeds appear to grow at an alarming rate and the strimmer has been working hard in an effort to keep the field to a reasonable height, this means that anything that is hiding in the foliage has to get the hell out or stand the chance of being sliced by the saw blade on the end.  Endless snails have been topped whilst this extensive task is going on.   The snails here are huge and resemble almost half the size of a tennis ball, it wouldn't be so bad if there was only a few of them but the field is covered in them, there must be thousands hiding in the grass and weeds keenly watching out for the strimmer to pass by followed by me wielding the massive machine across our large field wishing that I hadn't started doing the job.  We assume that the Storks come here to eat them and this is what makes up most of their diet, there is the green Lizards of course, they are about a foot long and although their bodies are green, their heads are blue and they can change colour according to what surrounds them. So in all, a great change from living near the sea in the Aegean region of Turkey and also a great change from living in the UK.
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Phil-H
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Itchyfeet's Blog   Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:58 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I love real life blogs like this and I'm looking forward to the next one. I have to admit I am one of those members who hasn't ventured over to the other site, no reason why I guess I am just use to being on here.
I'll also own-up, I did go to the blog site a few times when it first started but, and sorry if it offends anyone but I don't mean to, but it seemed to just stray into a extension of the main forum and not really just a blog site.

Obviously I may be wrong, but my idea of a blog site is just to read about other peoples exploits and not get involved with lots of question and comments, obviously thank you comments will always happen and I don't see anything wrong in those, after all, the writer has usually gone to a lot of trouble just for our enjoyments (or amusement)

Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: Itchyfeet's Blog   Sun May 12, 2013 9:55 am

[size=150:3883xbwj]Biggles? I remember Him Well!

Annette and I heard a noisy engine this week and both of us rushed out into the garden to find "
Biggles"
flying a biplane over our field and lining himself up to spray a nearby field with insecticide. The plane was only about 100 feet in height and we could get a good sight of it, three passes were made over our field and the sight was amazing, this is life in the country of course and we wouldn't change it for anything else. We only wish we had an international airport nearer than a three hour drive away in any direction.

Our garden has had a major change since Bernard arrived with his spade!! Masses of ground has been excavated and dug over and riddled ready for the arrival of seeds. Seeds have been planted everywhere and Bernard has told us what he has planted in Bulgaski of course and so we in effect haven't a clue what is out there, but we will look earnestly at the arrival of leaves and try to imagine what is beneath the soil, suffice it say that in the Summer the supermarkets won't be seeing much of us as the garden will fulfill any eating needs that we may have.

I know he has planted runner beans and peas and that is OK by me as I really only eat them and with only a few exceptions do I eat any other vegetables. Shame really, people tell me how wonderful things like cauliflour is, but when I eat it I have to run to a bin somewhere and throw up! My Mother used to feed me vegetables of the season when I was young as anyone of my age knows only too well. Heinz started making the wonderful and famous 57 variety and the vegetables that I was given to eat as a child were smothered in the stuff to take the taste away. In reality I hate anything that is a leaf or that hideous thing called a stump, cabbage and such-like are alien to my body. I am allergic to onions and we have dozens of the things growing in the garden for Annette to eat, as for myself after having eaten only a small slice a chain reaction starts up in my body like lighting the blue touch paper on a firework. No more graphic details available at this point, this is not for the faint hearted to read.

So in the midst of Bernard doing the garden and me helping where I can we are arranging a gathering for a charity here at our house in June, this is for a tapas night and people can bring their tents and caravans and stay for the night if they wish. We have 4500 sq metres, so plenty of room to park cars and caravans and tents, I will put a notice on the Forum nearer the time.

The past few weeks have seen sheep walking aimlessly around our village, most of our aged residents do the same and we point them in the right direction to get home, the sheep don't cause a problem and I make sure that when I walk the two big dogs that we leave a large space between us and them. Our resident storks are here and have mated a few times, since then one of the storks is always sat on the nest and occasionally gets up and turns the eggs and lays down again, considering they haven't read a book on the subject of rearing and bringing up children, they seem to be doing rather well.

Strimming the grass is in progress at the moment and there is a lot to do, of course the strimmer has to be attended to at regular intervals otherwise the blade becomes blunt and does absolutely nothing whilst hanging from my waist and causing me back pain with my sciatica (poor soul). Whilst doing the grass this morning a snake appeared and managed to get itself cut in half, just to be safe I cut it half a few more times! Oops, sorry!! It really worries me sometimes what I will find whilst busy strimming the field, we have seen three snakes here now and one of them passed within two feet of Annette last year and it was two metres long, good job it wasn't a boa constrictor there would have been more than a ready meal for it to get stuck into!!! Oops, sorry Annette, nothing personal, why are you taking that rolling pin off the wall? Hedgehogs and other forms of wildlife roam in the undergrowth, jackals are often heard at night time and whilst strimming away it wouldn't surprise to meet "
Dr Livingstone"
(I presume!).

Bernard has been to our field and collected loads of blossom for his distillery, his rusty contraption sitting at the bottom of the garden has been working flat out belching smoke and steam all over Paskalevets this past week or two and Bernard has gone into overdrive to get his portion of necessary liquor ready for consumption later in the year. He has had to increase his volume of liquor this year to take into account the visitation of yours truly whilst passing his property with my big dogs. Whilst being offered some liquid beverage I attempt to sit down on his rickety assemblance of rocks that he calls a seat, this pile of rocks is not safe and a balance has to be attempted by ones posterior whilst attempting to drink his Rakia.

So there we are, another collection of thoughts and happenings of life in the raw so to speak and brought to you by your very own Personal East European Correspondent.
Back to top Go down
Equinus
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Itchyfeet's Blog   Sun May 12, 2013 2:13 pm

Another great read. g

Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Itchyfeet's Blog   Sun May 12, 2013 2:59 pm

Thanks. g

Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Itchyfeet's Blog   Sun May 12, 2013 9:52 pm

Thank you again for anther truly great read and an insight to your life with the locals.
Back to top Go down
Brian1
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: Itchyfeet's Blog   Sun May 12, 2013 11:09 pm

Very nice to read all this and you really should try harder to eat more of the veg here its much better than that of the uk and you may find you like it. It must be great to have such a friend as Bernard who has taken you under his wing and you have obviously done the same which can only prove to be a good thing for both of you, enjoy the fruits (Rakia)
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Itchyfeet's Blog   Mon May 13, 2013 5:10 pm

Please take note:

As it took us so much time and effort to create an entire blog site for such postings, any further blogs posted here will be removed without explanation. Please use the blog site for blogs. or limit them to 3000 words. g

Admin
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Back to top Go down
http://www.ourbulgariaforum.com
Daisy
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Itchyfeet's Blog   Mon May 13, 2013 6:50 pm

I think that's very fare Ashley, blogs should have their own space and its just as easy to read them on the other site as it is here, I noticed you added a link on the for for Mrs Eq, can I suggest that when some posts a blog over there that they do the same which will get it noticed quicker. s
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: Itchyfeet's Blog   Mon May 13, 2013 7:09 pm

Please take note:

As it took us so much time and effort to create an entire blog site for such postings, any further blogs posted here will be removed without explanation. Please use the blog site for blogs. or limit them to 3000 words. g

Apologies Ashley, you are right of course. Only trouble is I did find that there were very few reads of my blog on the Blog site and started putting them back on here to see if there was any difference in reads. My last blog on the site managed 21 reads and already the last one on here has had over 40 reads and it has only been on a day. What the answer to it all is a mystery to me, some readers have said on this site that they haven't gone into the Blog Site often and have forgotten that the site is on the Forum. It was not my intention to upset you or anyone, but merely a trial to see what the difference in posting on the two sites would be.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Itchyfeet's Blog   Mon May 13, 2013 7:17 pm

Please take note:

Apologies Ashley, you are right of course. Only trouble is I did find that there were very few reads of my blog on the Blog site and started putting them back on here to see if there was any difference in reads. My last blog on the site managed 21 reads and already the last one on here has had over 40 reads and it has only been on a day. What the answer to it all is a mystery to me, some readers have said on this site that they haven't gone into the Blog Site often and have forgotten that the site is on the Forum. It was not my intention to upset you or anyone, but merely a trial to see what the difference in posting on the two sites would be.

Don't worry I fully understand but like all things new it will take time. As said by daisy once you have posted a blog on the other site then come back on here and post a link like this [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ... blocks-out

Admin
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Back to top Go down
Phil-H
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Itchyfeet's Blog   Mon May 13, 2013 10:02 pm

Please take note:

Although this thread was started 'Thu Jul 12, 2012' would it not be possible to move it in entirety to the blog section, that way it would stop it getting disjointed!

Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Itchyfeet's Blog   Mon May 13, 2013 10:08 pm

Hi Phil unfortunately it isn't possible to do that as the blog site does have some limitations and isn't as versatile as this one, if I were to move all the blogs over there would not be any flow as in the dates for example if I moved them today the date stamp on all the posts would be today's date which then would make it very confusing for the reader. g

Admin
Back to top Go down
Phil-H
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Itchyfeet's Blog   Mon May 13, 2013 10:17 pm

Ok, thanks, Just thought it might have been possible/worth a mention.

Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: Itchyfeet's Blog   Fri May 17, 2013 10:16 pm

Please take note:

Don't worry I fully understand but like all things new it will take time. As said by daisy once you have posted a blog on the other site then come back on here and post a link like this [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ... blocks-out

I can see how to put the link on, but how do I put my blog name on the end of it?
Back to top Go down
Phil-H
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Itchyfeet's Blog   Fri May 17, 2013 10:22 pm

I can see how to put the link on, but how do I put my blog name on the end of it?

Not sure but I think what was meant was just to post the blog link on the end of your thread in a new post and just ask people to follow it over to there, that way the actual blog name does not really matter.

PostSubject: Re: Itchyfeet's Blog   

Back to top Go down

Itchyfeet's Blog

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 8 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next