Share | 

Different way of life

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
oddball

PostSubject: Different way of life   Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:17 pm

First topic message reminder :

It is so strange to hear childen plaing out on the street at 10.30 at night - all our children in the UK are tucked up in bed llong before now. Bulgarians start to venture out from about 8pm families are in the park - children playing on their skate boards and roller blades , popcorn stall has a cue and the teenagers are all chatting, not a mobile, lapton, tablet or any kind of hand gagdets in sight. Conversation is the name of the game here Fab!!!! Reminds me of my teenage days. c

AuthorMessage
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: Different way of life   Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:21 pm

Annette and I attended our first funeral here in BG yesterday, of course we knew the dearly departed and it was sad to hear of his passing. Because we live in a village things are slightly different to a funeral taking place in one of the towns. We arrived at the meeting place which was the persons house and a tractor with a covered trailer with seats on each side was parked outside. A number of local people were in the property and we walked into the house to pay our respects and placed some money in the basket which was provided, also some flowers picked from the garden.

When the family where ready, the coffin was carried outside and placed on the trailer and the family and some friends climbed into the back and the tractor started up and off towards the village cemetery. A number of people walked behind and others drove to the cemetery. The grave had already been dug and prepared for the coffin to be placed on the polls which crossed the open grave. A short service was commenced by the Mayor's secretary and some silent prayer with our knees bent. Before the coffin was lowered into the grave the family and some friends poured Raki and wine into the coffin, we did notice he had his favourite trainers on and a packet of ciggi's placed in one of his pockets and we paid our last respects and left, but not before the family had given us all a package of food.

Having been present at hundereds of funerals in the UK as a Funeral Director, I believe that the BG village tradition of the way funerals are conducted is as good as any in the UK. The important thing is not how much money is spent on the day, but the true feelings of everybody present and the honesty and compassion shown to the departed and the remaining family.
Back to top Go down
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Different way of life   Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:07 pm

Oh thank you for that post Itchy it was very touching and what a send off your dear friend had. I am afraid it is pier pressure here with funerals costing an average of around £6k which is a vast amount of money. Even if you have a funeral plan that also increases over the years. My Mum bought 4 plots many years ago when Father died he was in the first one, then brother died they had to pay another £1000 to open up the grave again. Then another brother died and once again another £1500 to open up again, so you see they are making money all the time.

Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: Different way of life   Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:27 pm

I have really enjoyed reading this thread (not the sad parts about Funerals of course). I liked reading about the kids going out at night and playing "
nicely"
, if that were over here, it would be the chavy kids that wouldn't know how to play nicely if it bit them on their backsides! And where if you walked passed you'd be expecting them to target you! I would love to move to Bulgaria, but have a few more years to go before that is likely to happen, one day though....
Back to top Go down
paddy
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: Different way of life   Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:11 pm

my ex wife always did her nut when the kids disappeared, as she came from Oldham, she could not understand how safe the area we lived in our kids would go walking for miles and she would tell me that she was only happy if they stayed within hearing distance of her I always had to tell her I did the same and walked many miles. on the slip side of this she wanted to improve there way of life at home and the result was my kids now play on Xboxes and watch telly and when I am free on Sunday I kick them out and I force them to walk a few miles not bad for an old fart like me, I am looking forward to Bulgaria and if the walks are great I will get my kids over and they will never visit me again unless they want something.
Back to top Go down
http://www.askbuck.com/.
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Different way of life   

Back to top Go down

Different way of life

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2