HomePortalFAQRegisterLog in

altText
altText
altText
altText
altText
altText

Share | 
 

 Oh No . . . not Monopoly again!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
avatar

Posts : 2265
Join date : 2010-09-10
Age : 61
Location : Paskalevets

PostSubject: Oh No . . . not Monopoly again!!   Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:43 am

[size=50:2jcdqx4h]Daily Mail

[size=150:2jcdqx4h]Board game bust-ups!

Monopoly set to be the cause of most festive rows - closely followed by Scrabble and Trivial Pursuit
Nearly 75% of Brits will play a board game during the festive season
But almost four million Brits squabble when they play games at Christmas
Monopoly, Scrabble and Trivial Pursuit cause most family fall outs
Snakes and Ladders voted least offensive board game

‘Tis the season to be jolly... but apparently not if you're playing board games.

Research reveals nearly three quarters of Britons celebrating Christmas will play one this year. But while festive cheer may be the order of the day, sitting down to roll the dice is guaranteed to spark a row for four million Britons on 25 December.

Almost four million Britons squabble over board games at Christmas

The nation’s number one game - Monopoly - is the most likely to cause a family bust-up this year.

Nearly two million game players (46 per cent) claim tensions run highest in the race to bankrupt fellow players.

Following Monopoly in the poll, almost a quarter of families (23 per cent) will have a war of words over Scrabble.

And despite a title that suggests otherwise, Trivial Pursuit gets the blood of a fifth of festive players (20 per cent) boiling, making it the third most argued-over game.

For those who want to steer clear of board game bust-ups, family friendly games include the more cerebral Chess, with less than one in twenty (4 per cent) fighting over the opposition’s moves.

Research reveals nearly three quarters of Britons celebrating Christmas will play one this year

Similarly, childhood classic Snakes and Ladders sparks the temper of just one in 20 players (4 per cent).

Top 10 brawl-inducing board games:

1. Monopoly

2. Scrabble

3. Trivial Pursuit

4. Pictionary

5. Cluedo

6. Twister

7. Guess Who

8. Mouse Trap

9. Chess

10. Snakes and Ladders


Interestingly, it’s the younger generation who are most keen to forgo a night in front of the TV for some family board game fun on December 25 – three quarters (75 per cent) of 18-24 year olds will play this year ten percent more than people aged over 55.

Anita Naik, consumer editor of Vouchercodes.co.uk who conducted the survey, commented: 'Stepping away from the TV and playing a board game is a great way for families to spend quality time together.

'It’s inevitable that some games will bring out a competitive streak in people so make sure you set some fun additional rules that will diffuse tense situations.

'In my family we draw forfeits out of a hat so at points throughout the game whoever is in the lead has to do something funny such as sing a Christmas song – that way people will focus on the taking part.

'You could also pick up some affordable prizes to players for different merits such as the person who was the best team player or for the one who made the best move in the game.

'Alternatively try breaking into teams so whoever is winning or losing can’t be singled out.'

I'm always happy to be holding the 'Get out of Jail Card' though!!

::
Back to top Go down
Chris
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 2299
Join date : 2009-09-14
Age : 54

PostSubject: Re: Oh No . . . not Monopoly again!!   Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:57 am

I have to confess ... I have been known to lose my rag playing Monopoly! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
http://www.tonicwebworks.com
mike&tanya
Senior user
Senior user
avatar

Posts : 202
Join date : 2010-03-23
Age : 65
Location : London & Kliment near Karlova.

PostSubject: Re: Oh No . . . not Monopoly again!!   Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:16 pm

I used to play a lot of board games when i was a lot younger and still have lots of them, but since marrying Tanya trying to explain the complicated rules to Bulgarians got to much too handle so they were confined to the loft.
I think my favourites were,
Risk,
Mine a Million and
Buccaneer.

_________________
Mike
Back to top Go down
BGIan
Junior user
Junior user
avatar

Posts : 73
Join date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Oh No . . . not Monopoly again!!   Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:50 pm

mike&tanya wrote:
I used to play a lot of board games when i was a lot younger and still have lots of them, but since marrying Tanya trying to explain the complicated rules to Bulgarians got to much too handle so they were confined to the loft.
I think my favourites were,
Risk,
Mine a Million and
Buccaneer.

I cant get my Bulgarian girlfriend to even play on the wii console, so board games are a non starter
Back to top Go down
oddball
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 6892
Join date : 2009-10-20
Age : 59

PostSubject: Re: Oh No . . . not Monopoly again!!   Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:15 pm

That really intrigues me I have large 1000 piece jigsaw puzzles at my villa and in the summer one is laid on the outside table so when we finish whatever we are doing we can sit and add a piece here and there. We also have crossword and word search books. Our neighbors see this and think it is quite funny that grown up people actually play with toys - Now if it was a chessboard or domino's that would be acceptable. Strange how different culture see relaxation time. I offered a world map to one of the neighbors but he refused said no time to play games. Enough said

_________________
Berni & Dougie [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
http://www.bulgariaorphanagesillistra.com
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
avatar

Posts : 2136
Join date : 2009-11-10

PostSubject: Re: Oh No . . . not Monopoly again!!   Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:59 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
That really intrigues me I have large 1000 piece jigsaw puzzles at my villa and in the summer one is laid on the outside table so when we finish whatever we are doing we can sit and add a piece here and there. We also have crossword and word search books. Our neighbors see this and think it is quite funny that grown up people actually play with toys - Now if it was a chessboard or domino's that would be acceptable. Strange how different culture see relaxation time. I offered a world map to one of the neighbors but he refused said no time to play games. Enough said
I have just broken away from our family Christmas present, a 1000 piece jigsaw of the Sydney Bridge and surrounding area. It's taken 2 hours for 3 of us to do just the outside, and guess what there is always one piece you can't find. Time for a beer
Back to top Go down
oddball
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 6892
Join date : 2009-10-20
Age : 59

PostSubject: Re: Oh No . . . not Monopoly again!!   Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:17 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
That really intrigues me I have large 1000 piece jigsaw puzzles at my villa and in the summer one is laid on the outside table so when we finish whatever we are doing we can sit and add a piece here and there. We also have crossword and word search books. Our neighbors see this and think it is quite funny that grown up people actually play with toys - Now if it was a chessboard or domino's that would be acceptable. Strange how different culture see relaxation time. I offered a world map to one of the neighbors but he refused said no time to play games. Enough said
I have just broken away from our family Christmas present, a 1000 piece jigsaw of the Sydney Bridge and surrounding area. It's taken 2 hours for 3 of us to do just the outside, and guess what there is always one piece you can't find. Time for a beer

Now you have had the beer you will see double and flying pigs c c. Now you have had the beer you will see double and flying pigs c c


_________________
Berni & Dougie [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
http://www.bulgariaorphanagesillistra.com
justbazz1
Moderator
Moderator


Posts : 1161
Join date : 2012-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Oh No . . . not Monopoly again!!   Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:42 pm

Spare a thought for me..we all play Monopoly and Scrabble, but if I win too often, out comes the Bulgarian language versions..I don't have a snowballs chance in hell ! Real gang warfare, I can tell you.
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
avatar

Posts : 2265
Join date : 2010-09-10
Age : 61
Location : Paskalevets

PostSubject: Re: Oh No . . . not Monopoly again!!   Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:31 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I cant get my Bulgarian girlfriend to even play on the wii console, so board games are a non starter

We played Ten Pin ling on a Wii console yesterday and we really enjoyed it, I even beat our American friend. I wouldn't like to play some of the games including tennis or the Michael Jackson dance routine, too energetic, would rather take the dogs for a walk!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Oh No . . . not Monopoly again!!   

Back to top Go down
 

Oh No . . . not Monopoly again!!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

 Similar topics

-
» monopoly fans?

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: ExPat Lounge-