Share | 

The price of wood for 2014

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
oddball

PostSubject: The price of wood for 2014   Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:55 am

First topic message reminder :

Ginka has just had some chopped wood delivered 4 ton to be exact at a price of 500lev is that a good price?

AuthorMessage
oddball

PostSubject: Re: The price of wood for 2014   Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:49 pm

oldun wrote:
You know it amazes me that people who have been on the forum for some time still seem to take no notice of what is posted to help with problems like buying and storing wood. There has been so much advice over the years about buying ahead and storing all wood under some kind of covering even if you haven't got a spare barn. Doesn't anyone listen thinking it won't happen to them? Damp wood will not burn properly. A woodburning stove is very efficient and the cheapest form of heat and there in an electricity cut (if you have a battery back-up.) Wood chopping any delivered wood to size is the norm unless paying extra for chopped to size. Even the old ladies chop their own. Its also good exercise and gives something to do in the winter. I honestly despair of some Brits who do not seem to realise that life is so very different in Bulgaria and much harder than in 'soft' Britain where there is an answer for everything. Self reliance is very necessary in Bulgaria or anywhere abroad and acceptance of the way things are done has to be understood. Watch and learn is my advice.

Well thank you for your comments Oldun unfortunately we all have to learn how to survive in another country the only way we know how to and naturally we will make mistakes as (no doubt you did at first) but we learn through our mistakes. Some people will take advice gladly and other want to do things their own way. It is not up to you or me or anyone else for that matter to dispair or judge their decisions, we just have to remember everyone one to their own.

itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: The price of wood for 2014   Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:26 am

oddball wrote:
oldun wrote:
You know it amazes me that people who have been on the forum for some time still seem to take no notice of what is posted to help with problems like buying and storing wood. There has been so much advice over the years about buying ahead and storing all wood under some kind of covering even if you haven't got a spare barn. Doesn't anyone listen thinking it won't happen to them? Damp wood will not burn properly. A woodburning stove is very efficient and the cheapest form of heat and there in an electricity cut (if you have a battery back-up.) Wood chopping any delivered wood to size is the norm unless paying extra for chopped to size. Even the old ladies chop their own. Its also good exercise and gives something to do in the winter. I honestly despair of some Brits who do not seem to realise that life is so very different in Bulgaria and much harder than in 'soft' Britain where there is an answer for everything. Self reliance is very necessary in Bulgaria or anywhere abroad and acceptance of the way things are done has to be understood. Watch and learn is my advice.

Well thank you for your comments Oldun unfortunately we all have to learn how to survive in another country the only way we know how to and naturally we will make mistakes as (no doubt you did at first) but we learn through our mistakes. Some people will take advice gladly and other want to do things their own way. It is not up to you or me or anyone else for that matter to dispair or judge their decisions, we just have to remember everyone one to their own.

Yes, of course you are correct oldun - but lots of us live on pensions and are almost rebuilding our properties after they have left neglected for donkeys years. Our property had been left empty for a minimum of six years and has had the biggest renovation I have ever undertaken on any of my 15 properties owned over the years. So money is at a premium whilst a giant agenda of work to be done is under way. My wood purchasing has been delayed whilst buying and erecting fencing on our 4 and a half deka property and doing other works on our house. Also all of our barns were burnt down by the previous owners son!
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: The price of wood for 2014   Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:12 am

I absolutely agree with both comments except that buying in wood is a priority. I bought a rundown house and live on a State Pension but learnt quickly from the locals and watching. There were no forums to help and I loved every minute of it. Even when my Hero was advised to queue with the locals to order wood as I was entitled to it as a pensioner. We had the same wood as the other villagers so anything I write is done with understanding and when on a limited budget you have to prioritise. A waterproof roof, wood and a good woodburner with working chimneys is the priority. From what I have learned from other Brits is that aircon is expensive. We were always cosy with our woodburner and as I did all my winter cooking in it in the winter so very economical. Still, as you point out, you can learn slowly your own way so who am I to give advice which will be largely ignored. Don't forget I trod the same path and probably with a smaller budget.
Back to top Go down
Trev62
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: The price of wood for 2014   Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:32 am

oldun wrote:
Still, as you point out, you can learn slowly your own way so who am I to give advice which will be largely ignored.

Oldun, from your experience of living in Bulgaria you have always given sound and honest advice which helped us avoid making many basic mistakes when we moved here so keep the posts and advice coming. Regarding logs for the fire we get ours in, covered and stacked by the end of April, our first priority every year is to be warm in the winter and thanks to your "
Hero"
we also know the burning properties of different types of wood, amazing what you learn when you move here!
Back to top Go down
varnagirl
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: The price of wood for 2014   Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:56 pm

[quote="

we all have to learn how to survive in another country the only way we know how to and naturally we will make mistakes as (no doubt you did at first) but we learn through our mistakes. Some people will take advice gladly and other want to do things their own way. It is not up to you or me or anyone else for that matter to dispair or judge their decisions, we just have to remember everyone one to their own.[/quote]

now thats the truth of all....... with that last sentence being the way it should be we are all our own person ...whether someone else agrees with what we do or not !
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: The price of wood for 2014   Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:02 pm

I agree with you Varnagirl. Its when folk ask for advice and then ignore it that makes you think is it worth trying to help? I guess that is the way of the world nowadays everywhere. People are very quick to talk but slow to listen. I suppose I am just a grumpy old woman and I must remember to be more tolerant. s
Back to top Go down
Fletch
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: The price of wood for 2014   Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:58 am

Hi Oldun hope you are well s Heavens above we have all made mistakes, but over the years we learn by our mistakes. Think I would need pages and pages to go over the ones we have made. Back to wood, we always bought from our mayor but a few years ago our wood was rubbish from him, mind the mayor we had then was also rubbish. So for the first time in over 10 years we bought from a private seller, but we also had the advantage as we knew what we needed to look for and also what the amount should be for what we were buying, this knowledge only came to us because of all the previous years, we now always buy from private sellers. We always buy more than we need, again this comes from years of knowing roughly how much we use through the winter months, we are then able to stock pile so every winter we are able to use good dry wood. When we first came here I don't think we could have even bought an air con unit, LOL, There were no forums, so we were just out there on our own. When forums started I would always say how hard things are in Bulgaria and I suppose telling it how I saw it I got shot down many times. For me when we first came here it was a learning curve and god what a learning curve, the only way I knew how to warm a house was to turn a dial on the wall, although when I was a child we only had a coal fire but my parents always dealt with that. We can all give advise, and I am sure that it is appreciated by people, I have learnt things from forums and find them great if someone has the answer to something I don't know. I think that the biggest thing that we have to remember is that life in Bulgaria is very different to life in the UK, and we have to learn as we go along. Saying all that where I live it is now very much like living in the UK as I can get anything I want in the shops, the red tape is still there but much easier than it was, I can fly in and out all year, without having to travel all the way to Sofia, yes could do Varna once but that was stopped. Anyway have drifted a long way of the subject of Wood, but I am sure as every winter goes by people who are new to winters here will work out what is best for them. s

Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: The price of wood for 2014   Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:41 am

So lovely to hear from you Fletch and a :Good post:Yes, life was very different when you arrived in Bulgaria years ago and even when we arrived in 2004 so little was available and hardly anyone spoke English. Life was all trial and error wasn't it? As for wood, when some sort of deregualtion of wood came in, a local man started a wood business so everyone buys off him now. The price was reasonable and people could get it delivered back in the summer without the queuing although the Mayor's wood was fine if you got it in early and stockpiled. This man actually had a wood delivery business in the past and we used to see his old Russian truck lying abandoned outside his house! No idea why he stopped trading but possibly the truck just gave up the ghost and he couldn't afford to replace it.

The other thing about cost is where you live because of delivery charges. We were next door to the main logging forest so the price was good.

Yes, anyone living in Bulgaria has to get a Bulgarian head on their shoulders to survive the various problems that still can crop up otherwise discontent will start to rear its head. I miss my life there but have made a new life back in Britain. I guess I can adapt and make a life anywhere. s
Back to top Go down
Guinness101

PostSubject: Re: The price of wood for 2014   Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:07 am

I agree with most of the comments here, we get our wood in February and we are usually at least two years ahead so the wood delivered in February is for the winter after next allowing it to thoroughly dry out. The only thing I would add is to make sure no-one trys to sell you loose wood at your door it can sometimes be Yew would and for those that do not know it gives of arsenic gas when burned and can kill you!
Bet your off to sunnier climes for winter like last year hey Oldun. If not going on the weather reports you'll be having your very own Bulgarian winter there in Blighty.
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: The price of wood for 2014   Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:56 pm

Yes, we are having a month in Malta again in Feb although up until now, we have had a very mild and sunny Autumn. However, this last week winter has set in with low cloud and LOTS of rain. Still not too cold though.
Back to top Go down
oddball

PostSubject: Re: The price of wood for 2014   Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:32 pm

oldun wrote:
Yes, we are having a month in Malta again in Feb although up until now, we have had a very mild and sunny Autumn. However, this last week winter has set in with low cloud and LOTS of rain. Still not too cold though.

Piece of cake for you Oldun compare to your winters here in BG. I love Malta have a wonderful time g

itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: The price of wood for 2014   Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:34 pm

Most of my days are spent lighting two fires and chopping wood into useful sizes. During the past Summer I wondered why nothing much got done the Winter before and now I know! We have loads of kindling wood ready to be cut, but alas, everything is too wet to cut and certainly too wet to use this Winter. This coming Summer will see a roof being erected on one of our barns which will enable us to store wood and keep everything dry.
Back to top Go down
Fletch
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: The price of wood for 2014   Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:36 am

Kindling is one of those jobs that seems to take ages, you need to do a little bit every so often during the summer so you have a good supply, otherwise you never catch up with yourself. We also stack logs up against the house and cover in with heavy duty tarpaulin easy to get when the weather is bad.

PostSubject: Re: The price of wood for 2014   Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:48 am

We have loads of wood let from the old granny house it is too good to cut up for the fire it could make a wood shed or barn he only problem we have now is it has been left untside uncovered so it is soaking wet we have nowhere to store it really unless we put it in the garage but if it is still wet than it will make everytiing damp in there. If we leave it outside, you can be sure it will be gone when we get back in the spring. We also have the bricks and the roof tiles again they will grow legs So what do I do.............. ::

Fletch
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: The price of wood for 2014   Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:54 am

I would suggest that you pack them all into the garage, is there anyway that you can get ventilation through the garage ?? this will allow it dry without causing any problems. If you leave it all outside as you say they will grow legs.

PostSubject: Re: The price of wood for 2014   

Back to top Go down

The price of wood for 2014

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next