View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Yes or No to the EU   Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:31 pm

First topic message reminder :

Here is a debate for all us members to voice our opinions. It doesn't matter whether you live in the UK, Bulgaria or even Timbuctoo It should make some interesting reading, and the first thing I would like to ask is "what are the implications involved to UK citizens who live in the UK and have property in Bulgaria"

EU Membership: Reasons For And Against Leaving

There are pros and cons of Britain's membership in the EU. look at some key arguments on both sides of the debate.

There are strong arguments for and against Britain's EU membership

David Cameron has started negotiating a new deal with European Union partners ahead of a referendum on the UK's membership in the bloc.

Here are five of the reasons for and against Britain's membership of the EU.

Reasons To Stay

:: Millions of jobs are linked to our EU membership

As far back as the year 2000, it has been claimed that three million jobs rely directly on our membership of the European Union. The figure was even cited by Nick Clegg during his time as Deputy Prime Minister.

An analysis by Full Fact found that millions of jobs are linked to the EU, but said there is no evidence to show how many would be in jeopardy if we left.

:: Some of Britain's biggest trading partners are in the EU

Some of Britain's largest trading partners - including France and Germany - are in the EU.

More than 50% of our exports go to EU countries, and our membership allows us to have a say over how trading rules are drawn up.

:: It's easier than ever for us to work and travel abroad

Around 1.4 million British people live abroad in the EU, and having membership makes movement around the continent incredibly easy. Driving licences issued in the UK are valid in all EU countries.

:: Crime fighting

The European Arrest Warrant cuts out the need for long and complicated extradition procedures and allows criminals to be brought to justice across the EU.

:: Influence in the world

The EU is the world's biggest market and plays a big role in world trade, climate change issues, development projects and more.

It has the clout to take on multinationals such as Google and Microsoft. At the moment Britain plays a key role in the EU, and leaving would see us forgo that.

Reasons To Leave

:: Border control back in our hands

The flip side of the freedom of work and travel for UK citizens is that people from other EU countries are free to travel to and live in Britain.

UKIP leader Nigel Farage says any attempt by the Government to control immigration into the UK is futile as long as we are in the EU.

:: We could make a large membership fee saving

Like most clubs, the EU charges a membership fee, and it has been claimed that the cost is around £55m per day.

Analysis by Full Fact estimates the figure is closer to £24m per day when rebates and other receipts are taken into account.

:: Institutions are seen as lacking democracy

The European Parliament is directly elected, although the powerful Commission which proposes legislation is not.

Because many of these laws supersede legislation made by individual states' parliaments, some see the system as undemocratic.

:: Other countries successfully go it alone

Many Eurosceptics look to rich Norway as a country which trades with the EU without being in it. It also controls its own agriculture and keeps its fish, rather than being bound by EU quotas.

:: Get rid of any threat to Britain's military freedom

There is a push within the ranks of the EU's leaders for it to have its own army.

The president of the European Commission, Jean-Claude Juncker, said earlier this year that it would help show Russia the EU was serious about defending member values.

In the past the British Government has been forced to block moves to create EU-controlled military forces
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Andy
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Yes or No to the EU   Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:33 pm

I would politely suggest you do some research via google there is plenty to find and it takes time but it's worth it in the end, I always do my own research and find it very gratifying as I'm sure you will.
Back to top Go down
justbazz
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: subject   Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:44 pm

Thanks once again for informative response Andy...

As you all know, my wife is an investigative journalist and in view of recent events, has been quite busy.
One of her jobs today has been to contact every one of the companies on the list you kindly provided...complete with your comments.

We wait with much interest to their replies.
Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: Yes or No to the EU   Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:54 pm

What Borisov said

Politics » BULGARIA IN EU | June 24, 2016, Friday // 12:42

Bulgaria: UK’s Brexit Vote Marks ‘Bad Day for Europe’, Bulgarian PM Borisov Says

The UK’s decision to exit the European Union marks “a bad day for Europe”, Bulgarian Prime Minister Boyko Borisov has said.

“I respect the choice of their people, although from now on it [the people] will be severely split,” Borisov told reporters in Sofia on Friday after the UK voted in a referendum to leave the EU after 43 years in the bloc.

Asked whether by saying “bad day for Europe” he meant a possible disintegration of the EU, Borisov said that these were very strong words.

“From now on the EU must show that it can do without Britain […] and we have to start thinking about Europe without them. Any negotiations about a special status should not be held because they will break the union apart," Borisov said.

“When the EU is weaker, you see how the markets react […] the pound is falling. Hence, there will be consequences for everyone,” Borisov added.
- See more at: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Gimp
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Yes or No to the EU   Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:22 pm

justbazz wrote:

As you all know, my wife is an investigative journalist and in view of recent events, has been quite busy.
One of her jobs today has been to contact every one of the companies on the list you kindly provided...complete with your comments.

Can I ask why your making such an issue with this?
Back to top Go down
justbazz
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: subject   Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:30 pm

Of course you can Gimp...

I asked a question....and was very much interested in a potential answer.

No real answer was forthcoming, so we seek the truth elsewhere.
Back to top Go down
Gimp
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Yes or No to the EU   Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:50 pm

Ok well I just did a very quick search on a brand we all know and that is Heathrow airpot and found its owned by the spanish. it was quite easy to find.

Dyson gone to Malaysia, this is also correct

Jaguar Land Rover has recently agreed to build a new plant in Slovakia also correct

Gillette gone to eastern Europe also correct

These are all so easy to find I don't understand why you can't find this information
Back to top Go down
justbazz
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: subject   Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:38 pm

I can see you have totally missed the point Gimp...

Try writing an editorial on something as important as Brexit...then tell everyone you got all your info from a Google search!!

How long do you think your credibility will stand the strain?

Back to top Go down
Gimp
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Yes or No to the EU   Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:49 pm

justbazz wrote:
I can see you have totally missed the point Gimp...

Try writing an editorial on something as important as Brexit...then tell everyone you got all your info from a Google search!!

How long do you think your credibility will stand the strain?

I'm not writing an editorial and this is a discussion forum, I was simply pointing out that any information you might want is available and easy to find but you seem to be making an issue over this for some odd reason? as I said and I'm sure I can also speak for andy its just a discussion not a mater of national security .
Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: Yes or No to the EU   Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:17 pm

Irrespective of what our personal views are regarding IN or OUT, the referendum has done some good, after all we've have a topic on the forum that has given us the opportunity to agree or disagree and some old faces have re-appeared
Back to top Go down
cheekychops
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Yes or No to the EU   Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:38 pm

justbazz wrote:

OMG I can't believe you are still going on about this. If as you say your wife is an investigative journalist then why copy information from a forum? surely that's no different to using Google and the same applies how long do you think your wife's? credibility will stand the strain? not long I'm sure, also asking companies these questions is fine but they are under no obligation to answer or even be truthful with you unless you have asked the questions via a FOI request. I also would like to ask you did you get the permission from the poster to copy and share his post?

I'm only asking these questions because you have mentioned most of them yourself under the guys of 'My wife is an investigative journalist ?' Anyway I would suggest you start your own topic about Journalism and EU funding as this one is now getting hijacked and potentially going off topic. These are only my thoughts and no offence is intended.

Last edited by cheekychops on Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mike&tanya
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: Yes or No to the EU   Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:39 pm

One word covers mine and various friends feelings and that is - DISASTER!!!! , could only be made worse by Boris becoming prime minister.

Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: Yes or No to the EU   Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:50 am

mike&tanya wrote:
One word covers mine and various friends feelings and that is - DISASTER!!!! , could only be made worse by Boris becoming prime minister.

Andy Pandy would be a better choice La

Well now lets round up what has happened.

A Prime Minister resigned. The £ plummeted. The FTSE 100 lost significant ground. But then the £ rallied past February levels, and the FTSE closed on a weekly high: 2.4% up on last Friday, its best performance in 4 months. President Obama decided we wouldn't be at the 'back of the queue' after all and that our 'special relationship' was still strong. The French President confirmed the Le Touquet agreement would stay in place. The President of the European Commission stated Brexit negations would be 'orderly' and stressed the UK would continue to be a 'close partner' of the EU. A big bank denied reports it would shift 2,000 staff overseas. The CBI, vehemently anti-Brexit during the referendum campaign, stated British business was resilient and would adapt. Several countries outside the EU stated they wished to begin bi-lateral trade talks with the UK immediately. If this was the predicted apocalypse, it was a very British one. It was all over by teatime. Not a bad first day of freedom.
Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: Yes or No to the EU   Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:39 am

Reality Check: 'Do I need a new passport?' and other Brexit questions

The Reality Check team has been sent many questions about people's personal circumstances and how they will be affected by the UK leaving the European Union.

David Cameron has said he plans to let his successor activate Article 50, which is the point when the clock starts on the negotiations for a Brexit.

Once an application has been made, it has to be completed within two years. That period can be extended but only if all 28 EU countries agree.

You can read more about the effect on your finances here. And here are some of the other things we've been asked about the most.

Will I need a new passport?

You will have noticed that the top line on the front of the UK passport says "European Union".

Because the UK will remain a member of the EU for as long as it takes to negotiate the exit deal, such passports will be valid over that period - so there is no need to worry if you are travelling this summer, for example.

After the UK leaves, there will presumably be new British passports that will no longer say "European Union" on them.

While we can't say this for sure, it seems likely that the new design would just be phased in as existing passports expire.

Will my Ehic card still work?

The European Health Insurance Card (Ehic) entitles travellers to state-provided emergency medical treatment within the EU country they are visiting.

It works in any EU country as well as Switzerland and the European Economic Area (EEA) countries Norway, Liechtenstein and Iceland.

It will continue to work for as long as the UK is in the EU - so for at least as long as Article 50 negotiations take.

After that, it is possible that the UK will have negotiated a deal to retain preferential access to the single market, as the EEA countries have, which would mean the continued use of Ehic.

Alternatively, the UK already has reciprocal deals with a number of countries, including Australia and New Zealand, under which visitors can receive free urgent treatment. It could agree similar deals with EU countries.

Will I need a visa to travel to the EU?

Again, while the UK remains part of the EU you will still be able to travel freely in the EU.

It is possible that the UK will accept the continuation of free movement in order to retain preferential access to the single market, in which case you will continue to be able to travel freely in the EU.

If not, while there may be limitations on British nationals' ability to live and work in EU countries, it seems unlikely that those countries would want to deter tourists.

There are many countries outside the EEA that British citizens can visit for up to 90 days without needing a visa and it is possible that such arrangements could be negotiated with European countries.

What about my EU driving licence?

our driving licence features an EU flag in the top left corner with "UK" in the middle of it.

The information on it is the same as those used by drivers everywhere in the EU.

As with passports, the licence will remain valid while negotiations take place because the UK will still be part of the EU.

What happens after that will depend on the results of those negotiations, but one possible outcome is that a new design will be phased in as old documents expire.

What will it mean for people living in other parts of the EU?

During the campaign, there were no suggestions from the Leave campaign that there would be mass deportations of the 3 million EU nationals living in the UK.

There is unlikely to be any change to their status while negotiations on Brexit are under way and it is generally expected that they will be able to stay after the UK leaves the EU.

The same is true of the estimated 1.2 million UK nationals living elsewhere in the EU.

But while they are likely to be able to stay where they are, there are details that will emerge as part of the negotiations.

For example, at the moment, UK nationals claiming their state pensions in other EU countries benefit from annual increases. The same is true of some other

countries outside the EU with whom the UK has social security agreements. But in many other countries, UK pensioners do not receive increases each year, which means that inflation reduces their spending power. It is not certain that UK pensioners in the EU would continue to get their annual increases.

Similarly, some UK nationals living elsewhere in the EU are entitled to state healthcare funded by the UK government, which would be open to negotiation.

'What happens to my Italian wife?'

A Reality Check reader gets in touch to ask about what happens to his Italian wife. "My wife has lived and worked in the UK for 15 years having come over from Sardinia, Italy. We got married in March of this year."

It seems unlikely that your wife will be forced to return to Italy - nobody has suggested there will be deportations of people already living and working in the UK.

If there were to be problems, she may be eligible to apply for British citizenship as she is married to a British citizen and has been in the country for more than three years.

Bringing booze back

Andy asks: "When we leave the EU - will duty limits be reintroduced? For example, will we be restricted to just six bottles of wine being brought back from our trip to France?"

Unless there is an agreement in the negotiations, customs limits are likely to be reintroduced.

At the moment, the limits for bringing wine into the UK from outside the EU is four litres, which is just over five bottles.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: Yes or No to the EU   Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:09 am

More good News

Bulgaria: Bulgaria Ready to Grant Citizenship to UK Expats  

Bulgarian Prime Minister Boyko Borisov has said that Britons based in the country are "welcome" if they decide to apply for citizenship.

His comments follow Thursday's referendum in the UK in which a nearly 52-percent majority voted to leave the European Union.

"Many English people [sic!] are wondering how to go back to England now, so the problems will be for Great Britain, not for us. They will probably ask for [Bulgarian citizenship, we are open to this, they are welcome," Borisov has told reporters. Bulgarian politicians and media outlets often use England as a reference to the UK.

Around 7000 British nationals are known to reside in Bulgaria as of March 2016, according to UK Embassy data.

Many of these live outside the capital Sofia, some having chosen rural areas.
- See more at: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

What Next

More than half a million sign petition demanding referendum rerun as 100,000 back call for London to declare independence

Back to top Go down
varnagirl
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Yes or No to the EU   Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:03 pm

[quote="willowsend"]More good News

Bulgaria: Bulgaria Ready to Grant Citizenship to UK Expats  

Bulgarian Prime Minister Boyko Borisov has said that Britons based in the country are "welcome" if they decide to apply for citizenship.

His comments follow Thursday's referendum in the UK in which a nearly 52-percent majority voted to leave the European Union.
......end quote

OMG ...would you want to do that Willow and give up your UK one as you cant have Dual...
would I ..not bleeding likely.....
" c
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yes or No to the EU   

Back to top Go down

Yes or No to the EU

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: ExPat Lounge-