Can you believe this?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
justbazz
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Can you believe this?   Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:02 pm

The following rant may well belong in another category, but I can't think where...

Short story first....

...I was issued with a valid drivers licence in Australia way back in May of 1965 and since that time I have never been without a current and valid licence, regardless of where I was residing/working etc...this often meant that I would be holding a legal/valid licence for
more than one country, or state, at the same time, all the time keeping my Aust one current. No legal issues involved. No traffic infringements, no accident history, no restrictions or sanctions ever imposed anywhere....squeeky clean history. Early 2004 I moved to the UK and because I thought I would probably reside there for the rest of my life, I chose to do the "right thing" and obtain a UK drivers licence so I attended the closest DVLA and began the process. It's worth a mention that I had been driving for some 39 years and held valid classifications for normal cars, LGV, HGV, RoadTrain (up to 250 tons GVW and 3 trailers), All classes of bus or coach (single and double deck, rigid body and articulated), Taxi, Hire car, Motorcycle (unlimited capacity), any type of tractor or agricultural implement (tracked or wheeled). My logbook (certified and validated) clearly showed that I had recorded a little over 4 MILLION miles operating/driving all of the above classes, including many miles on UK roads driving a tour coach on UK and European roads and had been through many checkpoints without a problem...the young lady on the counter that day in Lincoln would only give me a licence to drive a manual car...and I had to hand in all of my other licences before I could get a UK version.

Let's jump forward to this situation...

...I noticed a couple of days ago, that my UK licence had expired and decided to go for a Bulgarian one. I don't drive very much these days, but it would be handy to have a valid one. Mrs Bazz popped up to the local KAT (Plovdiv) office and asked about what needed to be done. The answer might surprise some of you...

The applicant needs to provide proof of having a current first aid certificate, PLUS a current medical examination, PLUS a verifiable certificate showing that he/she has completed year 8 of schooling and that he or she has undertaken a certain number of hours of driving school training. The fact that I have earned two degrees mean nothing...I have a BA and a B.Sc and I can't prove I actually went to High School, because if those records ever existed , they have been lost. I have all my Uni records but they will not be accepted because the bit in the middle is missing.

The strangest bit is about to be revealed...as many of you know, I'm a retired airline pilot...I used to fly for one of the best companies in the Western world and I used to fly into and out of this country on a very regular basis...my credentials were NEVER questioned, nor should they have ever been. If I could sit at the controls of an aircraft, with 200+ people, sitting behind me, trusting my judgement to keep them safe...why do I have to jump through these hoops, just to drive to the corner store???

I'm sorry if I've bored you stupid.

JB

Back to top Go down
varnagirl
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Can you believe this?   Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:19 am

yes ...I can believe it..............

the rules are for the bulgarian to be driver..there are no others for out of the "norm " circumstances,,,,

your best bet is to get your UK one renewed...before your 70
then swap that one for a Bg one...swaping is easy...just a straight swap
Back to top Go down
justbazz
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: subject   Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:51 am

Thanks VG, it's a crazy system and one which I'm struggling with at the moment. The business of renewing the UK licence has been scuttled, simply because I don't have a UK residential address! I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place it seems. KAT won't accept my degree (s) certificates because they don't specifically mention me having attended year 8 at school. I'm currently searching furiously online to try and locate the relevant dept in the Education system back in Oz to see if I can get some type of documentation to show my school attendance records...at the moment it appears that those types of records only go back as far as 1975...another
Back to top Go down
varnagirl
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Can you believe this?   Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:12 am

justbazz wrote:
The business of renewing the UK licence has been scuttled, simply because I don't have a UK residential address!

neither did I when I renewed mine a few years back...naughty but needs must sometimes
Back to top Go down
BGIan
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: Can you believe this?   Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:12 pm

varnagirl wrote:
yes ...I can believe it..............

the rules are for the bulgarian to be driver..there are no others for out of the "norm " circumstances,,,,

your best bet is to get your UK one renewed...before your 70
then swap that one for a Bg one...swaping is easy...just a straight swap

I presume it would be a visit to KAT for the swap? Any idea of the timescale involved?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
varnagirl
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Can you believe this?   Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:36 pm

Mine took a couple of weeks till new one was picked up
Back to top Go down
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Can you believe this?   Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:38 pm

Oh no sorry to hear that Bazz I do hope you get it sorted.  Actually next year we will have the same problem Dougie's UK licence is due for renewal we were thinking of swapping for a BG licence, we go back to the UK for about 3 months at a time but what if we decided to return to the UK in a year or two, it will be very difficult to get a new licence as you will have to go thought all the lessons and tests again, the UK will not swap licences so I was told.   Luckly we did not sell our house.  How long does the BG licence run.

justbazz
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: subject   Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:18 pm

I can't answer your question regarding how long the licence is valid for, but in my case it is only valid until my long stay visa runs out.
At the moment those visas are only valid for 5 years and then they have to reapplied for...drivers licence has to be renewed at the same time...as does vehicle registration and a couple of other things.

You guys don't realise how easy you have it.
Back to top Go down
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Can you believe this?   Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:59 pm

justbazz wrote:

Yes indeed I agree, considering all the hoops you and our other Australian friends have to go thought, it is dead easy for us. g

bulgariabill
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: Can you believe this?   Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:53 am

Quote :
it will be very difficult to get a new licence as you will have to go thought all the lessons and tests again, the UK will not swap licences so I was told.

Berni - to answer your question if you go to == [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

you get the below -- whether this will change after Brexit, who knows but it appears you can still straight swap

1 Are you a resident of Great Britain? = Yes

2 What kind of licence do you have? = Car or motorcycle

3 Where did you pass your test? = European Union

You can drive in Great Britain on a full, valid driving licence from another EU country.
You can drive in Great Britain until you’re 70. If you’re 68 or over when you become resident, you can drive for 3 years.

After this time you must exchange your licence.

Order form D1 from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA).

Send the form, the £43 fee and any documents you need (including your driving licence) to the address on the form.
You should get your new licence within 3 weeks.
You can only drive in Great Britain with a non-EU licence for 12 months after you arrive.

Bill
Back to top Go down
justbazz
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: subject   Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:45 am

oddball wrote:
justbazz wrote:

Yes indeed I agree, considering all the hoops   you and our other Australian friends have to go thought, it is dead easy for us. g

In regards to your Aussie friends, if they intend to obtain a BG drivers licence sometime in the future, I may be able to help make it a bit easier for them. After much mucking about with all the Departments involved in the process and now having a clearer idea of what info and paperwork is required, I can probably help speed up the exercise. It's worth noting that an Australian licence is not recognised by this government and even if they happen (like me) to hold a UK or other EU state licence, unless they are a citizen of the issuing state, that licence is not recognised either!!

As I said above, I may be able to help.

c

In the meantime, my saga continues.
Back to top Go down
varnagirl
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Can you believe this?   Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:47 am

oddball wrote:
 How long does the BG licence run.

10 yrs....whatever age you are when you swap it  ! and yes , you can swap it back to a uk one.....at the moment
Back to top Go down
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Can you believe this?   Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:02 am

Ah thanks guys that is good news, might even consider swapping it over to BG this year than so there are no complications nearer the time.

I think they both have BG licences.

oddball

PostSubject: Re: Can you believe this?   Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:08 am

Can you have both licences, ie UK and BG

varnagirl
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Can you believe this?   Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:10 am

oddball wrote:
Can you have both licences, ie UK and BG

no ..KAT keeps your UK one if you swap
Back to top Go down