View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
justbazz
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Can you believe this?   Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:02 pm

First topic message reminder :

The following rant may well belong in another category, but I can't think where...

Short story first....

...I was issued with a valid drivers licence in Australia way back in May of 1965 and since that time I have never been without a current and valid licence, regardless of where I was residing/working etc...this often meant that I would be holding a legal/valid licence for
more than one country, or state, at the same time, all the time keeping my Aust one current. No legal issues involved. No traffic infringements, no accident history, no restrictions or sanctions ever imposed anywhere....squeeky clean history. Early 2004 I moved to the UK and because I thought I would probably reside there for the rest of my life, I chose to do the "right thing" and obtain a UK drivers licence so I attended the closest DVLA and began the process. It's worth a mention that I had been driving for some 39 years and held valid classifications for normal cars, LGV, HGV, RoadTrain (up to 250 tons GVW and 3 trailers), All classes of bus or coach (single and double deck, rigid body and articulated), Taxi, Hire car, Motorcycle (unlimited capacity), any type of tractor or agricultural implement (tracked or wheeled). My logbook (certified and validated) clearly showed that I had recorded a little over 4 MILLION miles operating/driving all of the above classes, including many miles on UK roads driving a tour coach on UK and European roads and had been through many checkpoints without a problem...the young lady on the counter that day in Lincoln would only give me a licence to drive a manual car...and I had to hand in all of my other licences before I could get a UK version.

Let's jump forward to this situation...

...I noticed a couple of days ago, that my UK licence had expired and decided to go for a Bulgarian one. I don't drive very much these days, but it would be handy to have a valid one. Mrs Bazz popped up to the local KAT (Plovdiv) office and asked about what needed to be done. The answer might surprise some of you...

The applicant needs to provide proof of having a current first aid certificate, PLUS a current medical examination, PLUS a verifiable certificate showing that he/she has completed year 8 of schooling and that he or she has undertaken a certain number of hours of driving school training. The fact that I have earned two degrees mean nothing...I have a BA and a B.Sc and I can't prove I actually went to High School, because if those records ever existed , they have been lost. I have all my Uni records but they will not be accepted because the bit in the middle is missing.

The strangest bit is about to be revealed...as many of you know, I'm a retired airline pilot...I used to fly for one of the best companies in the Western world and I used to fly into and out of this country on a very regular basis...my credentials were NEVER questioned, nor should they have ever been. If I could sit at the controls of an aircraft, with 200+ people, sitting behind me, trusting my judgement to keep them safe...why do I have to jump through these hoops, just to drive to the corner store???

I'm sorry if I've bored you stupid.

JB

Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
justbazz
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: subject   Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:23 pm

Another boring update.

Following a very detailed series of eye tests, I finally got that box ticked...20/20 vision and no colour impairment in either eye...250 leva lighter, I went home.

Stuck to our door was a note instructing me to report to KAT straight away! Attended the office and was directed to a senior traffic officer who duly informed me that the education requirement was being waived and I could go ahead with my application. Seems that my email to the Minister for Education in Australia might have produced a result.

The downside (always seems to be one) is that they now have to send my old EU licence to DVLA for checking and verification and this will take at least another 28 working days. To quote the officer..."the British department are always very slow and sometimes don't even bother with a reply".

In the meantime, I sit and wait.
Back to top Go down
BGIan
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: Can you believe this?   Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:55 pm

Certainly not boring, im watching for updates with interest.Its progress, albeit its still not in your hands just yet.
Back to top Go down
justbazz
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: subject   Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:26 pm

Thanks mate...I'm happy to learn that I'm not boring everyone...your response makes two members who listen.
The main man I was interviewed by today did make an offhand comment towards the end of the session...he stated that if the UK leaves the EU, the same rules will apply to their people who live here. He seems to have a problem with people who hold a British (EU) licence...he can't stand RHD cars and it took a lot of talking to convince him that although I hold a British licence, I'm not actually British! He demanded to know if I drove a proper car or one of those RHD ones.

What a strange world we live in.
Back to top Go down
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Can you believe this?   Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:42 pm

Ah well done Bazz thank goodness there is a solution Hot Sometimes they just need a kick up the ass to get things in prespective. At least you know you will have a licence soon.

justbazz
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: subject   Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:16 pm

Well, here endeth the day...KAT finally got their act together, all my documents scanned and necessary paperwork sent off to DVLA, reference and tracking number issued...had a very nice lady dealing with it all today and she suggested I use the express service, which I did. With a lot of luck and some help from the Supreme Authority, I MAY have this all done and dusted in about 3 weeks time.

It's been an expensive, frustrating and time consuming process (just on a month now and still have to wait)....you guys who were able to do a straight swap got off very lightly, but reading between the lines, I think that is all about to change!

It won't be over until I have it tucked in wallet,but things are looking a little better...I might have a cautious beer to celebrate a milestone.
Back to top Go down
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Can you believe this?   Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:15 pm

Pint

bulgariabill
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: Can you believe this?   Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:14 am

Hi Justbaz
good to hear you have 'cracked' the system I think we are in for an admin nightmare as and when (if) brexit is finalised but well done g

Bill
Back to top Go down
justbazz
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: subject   Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:13 am

Thanks to everyone who responded, either on here or via PM, your support eased the tension somewhat.

Going by the response from the main man in Oz...I'm not the only one who is curious about the pedantic interest this govt shows in education achievments gained 55 years ago...especially when I went on to obtain two degrees from two different universities, a couple of years later. I wonder how they thought I managed that.

Anyway.....
Back to top Go down
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Can you believe this?   Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:48 pm

So glad you are sorted Bazz..... Will be a treat to get behind the wheel again - you might even find your way to Silistra

justbazz
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: subject   Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:50 pm

We were only talking about this today...it's only been 10 weeks (give or take a day) since I last drove, but it seems much longer!
I might have to go for some driving lessons before I venture up your way again.

La
Back to top Go down
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Can you believe this?   Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:44 pm

g

justbazz
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: subject   Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:22 pm

Might just have to take the train....
Back to top Go down
varnagirl
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Can you believe this?   Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:09 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
...you guys who were able to do a straight swap got off very lightly, but reading between the lines, I think that is all about to change!

not all of us did..ok , it was not as bad as your experience...but mine swap took a month and endless visits ,lastly to see the Head guy at KAT...as it seems immigration had given me a Bulgarians guys ID  number on my ID card and he been dead since 1907..... and they did not know what to do about it....all good fun eh !

Oh VG so funny and there you are reserecting the dead wow This can only happy to you La La
Back to top Go down
paddy
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: Can you believe this?   Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:32 pm

very interesting Bazz, if you were looking for a job and I was looking at the list you listed I would put you at around 210years old, so if your health is great and you feel great that's all that matters.

I can top your story though

I moved house nearly 3 years ago, after 22 years at the other house, my kids were quickly to pointed out that I needed to change my licence for a new one with my new address, so I did just that
I went to the main post office they said I needed the pink slip, I said I lost it in the move, they then said "well" you need your driving licence proof of address, utility bill domestic bill and passport as well as a photo signed, then she said I have to go to my local post office to get this done, went to my local post office, they said of course we can do this for you, where is your pink slip, I said I lost it in the move she made a phone call and then gave me the list of stuff she wanted, I went home and also to my office and brought all the items she required, I told her here is the licence with a picture of me the utility bill and the other bill they required followed by my passport with a picture of me also a signed photo of me and to make sure I said I bought me with it to prove it is me, she took all the paperwork and said where is your pink slip, I said I lost it on the move, so she made a phone call, they gave her the list require to do this, then she said this was all correct, and I left, 2 days later an envelope turned up with my licence in it and all the paperwork saying dear sir we are unable to process your licence as you do not have your pink slip.
I told the kids licence is due to be renewed in 2023 and it can wait till then
Back to top Go down
http://www.askbuck.com/.
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Can you believe this?   Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:58 pm

You should have gone to the office with a pink slip on that would have shook them up... La La La  And you would look so cute  La

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by oddball on Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:31 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.bulgariaorphanagesillistra.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can you believe this?   

Back to top Go down

Can you believe this?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: ExPat Lounge-