Share | 

wanted electric shower

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
oddball

PostSubject: wanted electric shower    Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:04 am

First topic message reminder :

Ok guys I am thinking about an electric shower for the small bathroom putting a boiler in will take up too much room.  Tried a few diy shops here but no electric showers thereforek if anyone has one for sale can you please let me know thanks

AuthorMessage
justbazz
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: subject   Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:45 pm

Reading back through the posts, I see a couple of things that need clarifying, mainly for Berni's benefit.

I have two boilers...the 80 litre unit which supplies the main bathroom and shower...the other one is a 15 litre jobbie fitted under the sink in the kitchen and takes care of the hot water needs there. Both are infinately adjustable as far as water temp is concerned, even the ability to turn them down to about 10 degrees C for the winter months when we are rarely in residence. Both are wired independently and have their own, separate circuit breakers. Neither has given me any bother for nigh on 9 years. One comment which Berni made was regarding being 'powerful' ....I'm not too sure what you meant by that, but I'll take a stab in the dark here.

When you turn on the hot tap (on either of my boilers), the forthcoming water pressure is the same as normal mains delivery ie. hot water comes out and cold water flows into the boiler to replace that which you are using. The same would apply with an electric shower set up...the water pressure will be the same, going into the unit or coming out. Temps will be whatever you select....the biggest difference will be the cost of running them (electric bill) and it WILL be a significant difference. The boiler has all that idle time to heat and store the water, coming on and off for very short intervals during that idle time to maintain the water temp you have selected....the instant thingy doesn't store more than a cupful of water and relies on a very powerful heating element to bring the water up to the temp you have selected for your shower...I've been in houses where you could see the lights flicker and go quite dim whenever someone used the shower!! They are gluttons when it comes to electric consumption!

Meant to add this...we endure frequent power outages in our village and sometimes we are without electric for a day or so....I can still enjoy a hottish shower, more than 30 hours after the power goes off...totally impossible with the instant version.
Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: wanted electric shower    Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:35 pm

You have made some very valid points there bazz, we have got 2 x 80 litre boilers and when we are in residence or have let the property to guests the boilers are on all the time, because the thermostat knows when to switch on and off
On occasions when we have been there and 6 people have used the showers in one hour we still have enough hot water for next morning, bazz is right about the pressure and that can also be controlled by adjusting the shower head, my good lady likes it soft and gentle and I like it strong and vigorous :Fantastic:
Back to top Go down
justbazz
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: subject   Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:37 pm

Just to add to the above...I'll be going up to the farm on the weekend and I'll measure the exact space that my big boiler requires when installed. As I said earlier, the spare one I purchased is still sitting in its shipping carton and has never been opened....I'm happy to sell it on to whoever may need one, probably at about 50% of the retail price, unless someone has something to swap.

Food for thought.
Back to top Go down
justbazz
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: subject   Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:43 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
You have made some very valid points there bazz, we have got 2 x 80 litre boilers and when we are in residence or have let the property to guests the boilers are on all the time, because the thermostat knows when to switch on and off
On occasions when we have been there and 6 people have used the showers in one hour we still have enough hot water for next morning, bazz is right about the pressure and that can also be controlled by adjusting the shower head, my good lady likes it soft and gentle and I like it strong and vigorous :Fantastic:

At the end of the day, it all comes down to the water pressure....I'm like you Brian...I prefer a very vigorous blast from the shower head.
Back to top Go down
oddball

PostSubject: Re: wanted electric shower    Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:50 pm

g It is difficult to explain this to the electrician so will just go for a boiler, best be safe

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: wanted electric shower    

Back to top Go down

wanted electric shower

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2